Questions about IOT network and guest network

2024-06-07 19:14:47 - last edited 2024-06-07 19:30:32
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I'm looking into seperating my oit devices from the main network. I see two options for that, the guest network and the iot mode. I have some questions about that which are not clear to me (for sure).

* The guest network is closed of from the main network but the iot network is not? (if so isn`t the iot network useless then?)

* Can the main network devices can still control devices on the guest network and not the otherway around?

* Is there not vlan option in the Deco X50?

* Ethernet connected devices cannot be on the guest or iot network?

Hopefully someone can help me a little with these questions. Eitherway thanks in advance for reading.

EDIT: I connected a device to the guest network and I still had control over spotify on my pc on the main network or hue lights on the main network from that device on the guest network. If that is so, what is the use of the guest network here?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Questions about IOT network and guest network
2024-06-12 07:45:38 - last edited 2024-06-13 05:47:05

@Tuip 

Hi,

Here are the answers for your questions.

1. Devices in an IoT network are not isolated from each other. And they are also not isolated from the main network.

However, Deco also have the Device Isolation function, if you want to isolate certain devices. How to set up Device Isolation on a TP-Link Router/Deco.

2. When Deco works in the Router mode, the Guest network and Main network are isolated.

When Deco works in the AP mode, on the Deco app>Guest network>Advanced page, there is an "Allow Local Access" switch once the Guest network is enabled, and it can be used to control whether to isolate the Guest network and the Main network.

How to set up a Guest Network for Deco

3. Deco supports VLAN settings when getting internet connection. You can find it here: More>Advanced>IPTV/VLAN.

4. Yes, wired devices will be shown under the main network.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 264

Replies: 1

Related Articles