How to update firmware

How to update firmware

How to update firmware
How to update firmware
2024-07-22 13:30:09 - last edited 2024-07-23 03:31:22
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.11 Build 20190926 Rel. 55727

Apologies in advance if my delivery of the below request is a bit stilted, forthright, and not in keeping with protocol. This is my first foray in to this community forum.

I would expect my subject line to attract the simple answer of go read this FAQ on a specific web page. There again I would have expected the Deco App to have notified me of firmware updates to my M9 Plus v2 devices, given that several have been issued since the 1.2.11 Build 20190926 Rel. 55727. And yes I do have the latest version of the Deco app on my iPhone - 3.7.74 - and always have done. Somewhere along the line something has gone amiss. So it would be greatly appreciated if someone could enlighten me as to how I can get the latest firmware update available on to my M9 Plus devices. Thanks in advance.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:How to update firmware-Solution
2024-07-22 13:39:54 - last edited 2024-07-23 03:31:22

@retired_user 

This is known issue with Deco M9 Plus firmwave version 1.2. That firmware is so old it can't be updated with Deco app, but instead of giving an error message Deco app says "no new firmware available."

To update your M9 Plus, follow this document, Method 3: How to Update the Firmware of Deco

After successful update to at least firmware 1.4 manually, Deco app can update M9 Plus. The latest firmware for M9 Plus is 1.6. There are many new features and stability fixes in it comparing to firmware 1.2.

Recommended Solution
Options
13 Reply
Re:How to update firmware-Solution
2024-07-22 13:39:54 - last edited 2024-07-23 03:31:22

@retired_user 

This is known issue with Deco M9 Plus firmwave version 1.2. That firmware is so old it can't be updated with Deco app, but instead of giving an error message Deco app says "no new firmware available."

To update your M9 Plus, follow this document, Method 3: How to Update the Firmware of Deco

After successful update to at least firmware 1.4 manually, Deco app can update M9 Plus. The latest firmware for M9 Plus is 1.6. There are many new features and stability fixes in it comparing to firmware 1.2.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:How to update firmware
2024-07-22 18:59:32

@Alexandre. 

Ok, so Step 1 says “… download the upgrade utility on your computer.”. What sort of computer would that be? I have all Apple devices, no Windows devices.

Further down Step 1, the link for the M9 Plus v2 takes me to the Utility page with a download option for macOS - v1.2.0 - dated 2021-03-25.

So my question is - will this utility allow me to download a firmware update of version 1.4 or later, and presumably the latest firmware update of 1.6.3 Build 20231225 to my M9 Plus V2 devices?

I know from past experiences of many years ago, that firmware updates have to be treated with respect. You get just once chance to get it right or get a bricked device.

I await your reply to the above.

Options
2024-07-22 19:22:42

@retired_user 

I think you should just try. The whole point of that utility is to update M9 Plus V2 with firmware 1.2 to newer firmware.

Options
2024-07-23 13:36:20

@retired_user  Go to to the top left of the deco app and go to view account. Go to app settings click on notifications turn on firmware updates. It will then notify you when a firmware needs to be updated then push update when it notifies you.

Options
2024-07-29 13:17:36

Alexandre. wrote

@retired_user 

I think you should just try. The whole point of that utility is to update M9 Plus V2 with firmware 1.2 to newer firmware.

@Alexandre. 

OK. Against all my training, and better judgement, I did exactly what you said, and tried.

I regret to say it was a no go.

Followed all the instructions, including the FAQ about "Cannot find main Deco", and I have been totally unsuccessful. I have no idea why it didn't work. But I'm not prepared to compromise a working network, and all the settings I had configured and reconfigured, in order to try again. Unless you, or someone else, knows how to make it work on an M2 MacBook Air running macOS Sonoma.

So, thank you for your assistance thus far, and it's time for me to move on to Plan B, to integrate TP-Link XE75 Pro units in to the Deco mesh network, before making one of them the main device in the Deco network. Thereafter, it's a case of decommissioning the M9 Plus devices. Net result will be an upgraded Deco mesh network without having to reconfigure the myriad of devices that connect to the network via wifi.

Options
2024-07-31 06:47:11

@retired_user What problem(s) did you face exactly?

Just a M4 (2-pack) user who regrets buying it
Options
2024-08-01 15:26:13

@ImtiazAli I followed the instructions provided with the update utility. I even had the update .BIN file in the same folder as the utiilty program. I isolated main Deco from the internet at the rest of the mesh network, as well as powering it off and then on. I connected the main Deco to the MacBook using a shielded ethernet cable. The MacBook and the main Deco were only a few centimetres distance from each other. And yet the utility said it couldn't find the Deco. Go figure, because I can't. So to repeat myself - what am I doing wrong?

Options
2024-08-02 12:44:00 - last edited 2024-08-02 12:44:28

@retired_user Try the same steps without "isolating" the main Deco from the internet

Options
2024-08-02 13:01:22

@ImtiazAli 

Thanks for the quick reply.

So, just to confirm, you are suggesting that the main Deco is kept connected to the internet via its cable connection to the router, and via wifi to the rest of the mesh network?

Options
2024-08-02 13:04:46

@retired_user Yes....try connecting the Macbook to the main Deco via Wi-Fi first.

If it doesn't work, then try connecting via Ethernet cable

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 590

Replies: 13

Related Articles