Multiple random connections to M5 mesh network

2024-07-25 18:25:10 - last edited 2024-07-25 18:40:14
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.7.6 Build 20240305 Rel 38320

Hi

I'm new to the forum but cannot see any similar experiences to what I have seen today.

I have 3x Deco M5 in my home, 2 wireless and 1x wired. Connected to the main router which is set as an access point.  The system has worked brilliantly for the last 12 months with no issues.

Today we allowed our nephew to connect his new iPad. Later on in the day, I received multiple notifications of new connections to the system. No changes have been made to the system and no other new devices added. I am concerned my nephews ipad may have been compromised and he has hit a link which he shouldn't have, which has allowed other devices to access the system. He is 5 so has little awareness of not following links and I'm unsure of what, if any, restrictions are applied to his ipad.

These devices are no longer showing as connected to the system and the nephew has left. Hopefully someone has a similar experience or understands what has happened and I am worrying about nothing. Some of the connections shown below, 13 in total.

Maybe it's nothing and I'm being a bit OTT, but it seems really odd to me. 

Thanks

Options
2 Reply
Re:Multiple random connections to M5 mesh network
2024-07-26 03:01:26

@Ginty 

Hi, I think it is very likely that "Private address" has been activated on the New iPad. You could refer to the following FAQ:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/3405/

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
Re:Multiple random connections to M5 mesh network
2024-07-26 05:28:29 - last edited 2024-07-26 05:29:26

Hi @David-TP 

Thanks for your response.  Much appreciated.

If this was the case wouldn't all of these device connections show as unknown? Also wouldn't it only be once per device?

I can see through the Deco app now what is connected and can identify what each device is, yet these new connections are all named, 3COM, CompuLab, etc.  So in theory I normally have 16 devices connected (only 2 phones, thw rest being temp control and doorbell etc) but randomly an additional 13 devices with completely different names connect in the space of 30 mins?  They are no longer connected and have not been since.

Something just doesn't seem right about it. Surely if it was a laptop/phone with these private address settings it would show once per device, if they were all activated.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 136

Replies: 2

Related Articles