App regularly shows devices offline when they are not

2024-08-22 10:20:28
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

This may just be some latency thing, and I'm sharing it mostly to see if others see the same.

Often when I am both on the LAN itself or away from it, when I start up the Deco app it shows a warning message like "2 decos are offline".  But I know they are not, because (for example) I have some specific devices which are linked only to specific Deco units, and they don't show that they have lost connection.

Is this just something to do with the fact that the whole system needs to be accessed via the TP Link servers, or might it indicate some issue.

To be clear, this has always happened, and I've had the Deco units in place for about 4 years.  

Normally whenever I hit the "try again" button they all magically appear to be working just fine to the app. And my actual day to day experience is that I almost never drop the wifi when I am at home, so I am happy with the system.

Options
4 Reply
Re:App regularly shows devices offline when they are not
2024-08-23 03:34:20

@larkim 

Hi

Given that the issue seems to arise specifically for the application, it's possible that network latency could be a factor. You may find it helpful to consider adjusting the primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 and the secondary DNS to 8.8.4.4 by referring to the resource provided in the link below: How to change DNS

We also welcome the opportunity for fellow users to offer additional suggestions or share their experiences with you.

Options
2024-08-23 06:15:44

@Joseph-TP Thanks. I already use 8.8.8.8 but having read a little more it may relate to the fact that I am on the beta 1.7.0 firmware as I've now observed that others report this sort of behaviour. 

Options
3 weeks ago

@larkim 

Hi

I have included a Beta in your message to help address this issue. But you may need to refer to the following link to upgrade through firmware recovery:

How to use firmware recovery

Options
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

@Joseph-TP Thanks, but I'm a little confused as to what you mean?  

I've got the 1.7.0 beta installed on all my devices, for the benefit of the "connection preference" option which has solved issues I did have with keeping the connections strong throughout my house.  I don't want to reverse that if possible, but if it's a trade off with persisting with the messages showing devices offline when they are not OR keeping the connection preferences option available, I'd prefer to stick with the connection preferences beta firmware.

However, if you're saying there is a new / different beta that I could try that resolves my issue with the "device not connected" messages as well as the connection preferences option being available, I'm ready to hear it!

Once again, thanks for dropping into the thread and providing input!!   

Edit - sorry, I understand now - I've seen the direct message!!  

Options