Advanced options with extenders including VPN

3 weeks ago
Model: RE705X  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hello everyone,

I have a WiFi 6 repeater, the RE705X, and I’m very satisfied with it. I didn’t buy it for my home, where I already have a mesh network set up with my Deco X50 units, but primarily for when I’m traveling and the hotel WiFi doesn’t reach well in the rooms. I often place it next to the room door to catch the hallway WiFi signal and then repeat it for my devices (smartphone, laptop, TV box, etc.).

I really appreciated being able to broadcast a repeated signal with a different SSID and different encryption. However, I would like to suggest the following improvements for this repeater:

1) The ability to completely isolate my devices from the public WiFi, so only the repeater itself is exposed.

2) Equipping the repeater with a firewall.

3) Allowing the repeater to connect as a VPN client to a third-party VPN server (OpenVPN or WireGuard) to protect connected devices.

Basically, the idea is for the repeater to behave like a TP-Link router with the classic options that we really appreciate!

Do you think this is feasible?

Thanks!

Options
1 Reply
Re:Advanced options with extenders including VPN
3 weeks ago

@CHAACHO 

Hi,

It would certainly be nice to have the features you mentioned in the "Range Extender" products, but I think TP-Link's marketing team would not like that, because it would be direct competition to their "Travel Router" line of products, especially this one https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/tl-wr1502x/ .

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 101

Replies: 1

Related Articles