Getting slower speeds when connected to the main Deco than when connected to other units

Getting slower speeds when connected to the main Deco than when connected to other units

3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.11 Build 20240724 Rel. 38913

Devices that are connected to the main deco, are for some reason getting much slower speeds than they should be, and slower compared to when connected to the satellite decos. I have 2 Gig internet, but I understand I won't get that over WiFi plus most of my devices don't support it yet. (Getting 1 gig is only five bucks cheaper)

The devices connected to the main deco get on average of 350-450 mbps down (at 5-6 feet away). However, devices that are connected to other deco units throughout the house could get over 650mbps, consistently. I dont think it's an issue with the specific device(s) because I've tested it all. You would think, being connected to the main deco, would give you the better speeds.

I can unplug my Deco and hookup my older ASUS RT-AX86S Router in the same exact location of the main deco, and will get 750-800mbps down on the very same devices that are getting lower speeds when connected to the main DECO, which is the standard. 

Again, there is no issue with the other two deco satellites throughout the house, and speeds are consistent.

For context: when connected to my ASUS router, I'll have Tx Rate of 1,300mbps according to my WiFi expanded details, but only 780-876mbps when connected to main Deco, all on same devices. 

Here’s what I’ve already tried to resolve the issue:

• Ensured firmware is up-to-date
  • Hardwired main Deco into my computer, and got max speeds as needed. (so no issue there)
  • Rebooted and unplugged all units multiple times
  • Optimized the network repeatedly
  • QoS is not enabled
  • Switched between 80 MHz and 160 MHz frequencies
  • Erased devices in the Deco app and forgot the WiFi network on the devices
  • Switched Deco units to test different ones as the "main" connected to the gateway
  • Tried using AP mode (since my ISP’s gateway is not in bridge mode)

For further context, I’m using an Xfinity modem/router that’s not in bridge mode. I understand this might cause interference or double NAT, but so far, the Deco XE75 has outperformed the gateway throughout other places in my house. Plus, when I connect the older ASUS router, speeds are excellent.

Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Options
7 Reply
Re:Getting slower speeds when connected to the main Deco than when connected to other units
3 weeks ago

@Power2All 

Hi,

Does your device connect to 5G when you test speed with main Deco and satellite Deco units?

Will the issue happen to 2.4G as well?

Please also test with the guest network.

How to set up a Guest Network for Deco

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Getting slower speeds when connected to the main Deco than when connected to other units
3 weeks ago

@Sunshine 

Hi, and thank you for your response and suggestions.

I just tested 5G using the Deco guest network and experienced the same issues. I also tested 2.4G and experienced slower speeds than when comparing to 2.4G on my other router.

Options
3 weeks ago

@Power2All 

Hi,

Thanks for your information.

Please stand next to the main Deco, reconnect to the main one and then check the TX rate. And also provide me with the screenshot.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
3 weeks ago

@Sunshine 

Hi,

Sure thing. 

here is the Tx Rate, I'm lucky to catch it at 867mbps tx rate, even though I get 1,300 with another router I plug in at the same location to replcae the main Deco

here's a speed test result from speedtest.net. Again, I will get 750-850mbps down on average with a different router.

Thank you

Options
3 weeks ago

@Power2All 

Hi,

Based on the PHY mode in your screenshot, your computer appears to support only Wi-Fi 5, which means it can negotiate up to 867 Mbps.

Are you getting the 1300 TX rate using other devices connected to the old ASUS router?

Options
3 weeks ago

@Sunshine 

Hi, yes, that is correct. I am getting higher speeds, including 1300 Tx Rate with the ASUS router. Both the device + router are in the same location as the setup when I have the Deco set up.

See screenshot when running the ASUS below:

Options
2 weeks ago

@Power2All 

Hi,

Thanks for your screenshot.

You can notice that NSS is 2 when connected to Deco XE75 and 3 when connected to ASUS.
So it is the TX rate that affects your actual download speed. From the screenshot, the download speed you get from Deco is normal.

Deco XE75 supports 2*2 MU-MIMO.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 175

Replies: 7

Related Articles