Applying open dns to router and securing it for no network changes bypassing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-08-29 09:58:55
Region : Argentina

Model : TL-WR1043ND

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

[/SIZE][SIZE=5]HI so solution here if anyone has a TL-WR1043ND and wants to enable dns filtering ( without hacking your router)

it took me a a few hours to figure this out but hopefully it helps some of you other parents to secure your web browsing.

Im using Opendns for filtering heres what their free filter blocks (FamilyShield is pre-configured to block adult websites across your Internet connection. Just turn it on and go. The filter is always up-to-date, adding new sites 24/7. ) http://www.opendns.com/home-solutions/parental-controls

First lets start with dhcp

now on your side bar click "access control"

and apply these steps

how on the side bar click "hosts" then on the center window click "add new"
make your screen look like this :

now on the left click "target" then "add new" ( here we are going to make 4 entries so after you complete the first screen click "save" and then "add new" till you have all 4 Targets.

targets 1 and 2 list ports going out from your home to the web I skip port 53 because that's the port dns uses.

ok now we have all our hosts and targets lets make the rules:

Click on "Rule" on the left then "add new"
again were going to make 4 rules so after you complete one click "save" then "add new" till your done all 4.

now in order for our settings to stick we will have to do a reboot of the router.

on the left side panel click "System tools" then "reboot" and finally click the "reboot" button.

it should take about 1.5 min to fully reset now your set any device that connects to your home network will have family safe filter automatically working. and if someone tries to change their DNS server on their device they will loose all network access forcing them to revert to DHCP.

*** please note if any of your devices aren't working its important to check and make sure DHCP is enabled on them other wise like I said above you wont have any network access.

and if your like me trying to beat the addiction have your wife or trusted friend who's going to keep you from "resetting to defaults" or changing settings have them set the password to access the router.
Password to access routers web interface is found on the side bar "system tools" then "password"
Options
1 Reply
Re:Applying open dns to router and securing it for no network changes bypassing
2013-09-06 16:17:13
Good job.:o
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1192

Replies: 1

Related Articles