WR710N Setup and extending existing Airport network - advice?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-01-11 21:57:13
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WR710N

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

OK so a networking newbie - I want to add the 710N to my network to extend the wireless coverage (is that as a BRIDGE or REPEATER?)

I have an existing Apple Airport network and I want to add the 710N to it, I wish to connect to an existing ethernet cable and then use it for boosting the wireless signal.

Can anyone provide a link to a guide or some advice?

Thanks

Using OS X 10.9.1
Options
2 Reply
Re:WR710N Setup and extending existing Airport network - advice?
2015-01-04 03:23:16

Tenex wrote

[COLOR=#000000]
I have an existing Apple Airport network and I want to add the 710N to it, I wish to connect to an existing ethernet cable and then use it for boosting the wireless signal.

You need to configure the TP-Link WR710N in Access Point mode. Provided your Apple network isn't using 192.168.0.0 subnet, you can leave the TP-Link adapter on it's default IP address, but you'll need to change the address of one of your machines to be able to talk to it.

I'd suggest:

[*]Perform a hardware reset on the TP-Link, if you've been fiddling about with the settings in the last two months since you posted this question!
[*]Plug in the TP-Link to the mains next to a convenient computer. Connect the computer directly to the LAN port of the TP-Link. Do not connect the TP-Link to your Apple Airport network yet.
[*]Change the IP address of your computer's WIRED Ethernet adapter to 192.168.0.10, and disconnect it from any WiFi networks
[*]Browse to http://192.168.0.254 - username and password are admin
[*]Follow the wizard to set the device to Access Point mode. It will reboot. If it doesn't come back after say five minutes, power cycle it.
[*]Now in Wireless Settings set it to the SAME SSID (name) as your existing network.
[*]Under Wireless Security, set it to the SAME passphrase (under WPA/WPA2-Personal) as your existing network. Set Version and Encryption to Auto.
[*]Now in DHCP server, set it to DISABLED (this is important; your Apple network hardware needs to continue to be in control of IP addressing)
[*]All the settings should line up ideally - under advanced, you can change WPA

This all takes a few reboots but basically thats it. Next move it to the desired location and connect the Ethernet cable from your Apple Airport to the LAN interface of the TP-Link. Devices should now roam freely between the two Wireless access points.

You might need to set the TP-Link to a static IP address (Network, LAN) in order to prevent it's DHCP server running (documentation is vague) but no need to look at that unless you find things stop working because their IP addresses have changed.

Once all the config is done, remember to set the computer wired interface back to DHCP and also enable the WiFi, if you needed to disabled it.

Hope that helps!
Options
Re:WR710N Setup and extending existing Airport network - advice?
2015-01-06 11:31:05
Method 1:
Apple Airport -------------------------- WR710N_AP_mode )))))))
http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=641

Method 2:
Apple Airport )))((( WR710N_repeater_mode )))))))

www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=615
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 689

Replies: 2

Related Articles