Blocking downloads, videos and websites.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-07-10 05:32:59
Region : Argentina

Model : TD-W8968

Hardware Version : V4

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello everyone,

I have a few needs. Backstory - My school only has 50Gb of data per month. There is no proxy and all computers are in a workgroup. Students computers are protect through k9 filtering program but staff are able to browse freely.

1. This brings me to my first problem. There are staff members who are downloading movies and music despite reminders and requests.
Therefore I NEED to block downloading of music and movies.

2. I have applied a URL filter on the router to block youtube and other video sites as shown in the manual but everyone still has access to these sites!!

3. Those videos on Facebook are a heart ache. How to block them????

I hope all of the above can be done through my router.

You guys are my last hope!!!
Options
4 Reply
Re:Blocking downloads, videos and websites.
2015-07-10 14:17:41
Youtube and facebook are https website. If you want to block them, you may try to block all of their IP addresses and port 443. But youtuble and facebook have many different IP addresses...
Options
2015-07-12 23:39:21
Are you checked OpenDns account?
Options
2015-07-13 01:20:03
Hi,

I guess you could try to block all IPs (as mentioned by Vivian) but this will not be successful. You will also have to block all Proxy-Sites etc. and there are more sites to download stuff than you could find and block. That would be a race between you and the people looking for new content sites.

When I was at school, the Admins there just checked the list of most visited websites and blocked all the unwanted sites. Maybe you could try something like that.

I would not block Port 443, you would disallow all secure communication - and that should never be done.

Regards,
bale
Options
OpenDNS
2015-07-14 08:53:22

jimasek wrote

Are you checked OpenDns account?

I have checked after your suggestion.They offer only paid services.
Than you for the suggestion.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2219

Replies: 4

Related Articles