USB drive mount changes between sda1 and sdb1

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-11-11 19:25:16 - last edited 2021-02-17 08:27:46
Model : Archer C9

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version : 4.0.0 Build 20150907 Rel. 49201

ISP :

Hello all,

I have a WD 5TB USB3 drive connected to my C9's USB3 port. All works fine except for the fact that for no apparent reason the name of the mount switches between sda1 and sdb1 every few days. This causes a bit of frustration as I have to specify full folder paths on my media server (Kodi) that has to rescan my entire library whenever this change occurs.

Any ideas on why this is happening and what could be done to prevent it?

Thanks.
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Workaround-Solution
2016-12-11 15:31:58 - last edited 2021-02-17 08:27:46
Hi,I wasn't able to fix this at its source but I managed a workaround which works perfectly for me. In the router's admin UI, in the USB section. You are able to map folders that have logical names. These logical names are unaffected when the mount name changes so you can consistently refer to it from your PC or medi player without having to update after every reboot.Hope this helps.
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Same problem
2016-12-11 06:38:23
I have the same issue. Any ideas?
Options
Workaround-Solution
2016-12-11 15:31:58 - last edited 2021-02-17 08:27:46
Hi,I wasn't able to fix this at its source but I managed a workaround which works perfectly for me. In the router's admin UI, in the USB section. You are able to map folders that have logical names. These logical names are unaffected when the mount name changes so you can consistently refer to it from your PC or medi player without having to update after every reboot.Hope this helps.
Recommended Solution
Options
Workaround
2021-02-15 17:11:13
Additional Info - On the Archer C8 the option to name the share is only provided if you disable Share All and the explicitly add a share (to the root if that's what you want). You can still disable authentication on a per-share basis.
Options
Workaround
2021-04-02 14:46:51

The Work around doesn't work. I created the logical folders to be shared for example "New"  When you map the folder my router shares it as "New(sda1)" Which of course changes randomly to "New(sdc1)", in my case, and breaks the mapping. The only way to fix it ,is to reboot the router because there is no manual way to change anything in the disgusting UI for dummies. It pisses me off to no end .I think the REAL solution is to give their products really bad reviews on Amazon and any site that sells or reviews tech. This incomprehensible bad behaviour seems to transfer from generation to generation of their routers because TPLink has no (monetary) reason to change it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1267

Replies: 4

Related Articles