2 ISPs, 2 Sets of Powerline Adapters?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-08-16 23:37:17
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi All

I currently have Sky Broadband set up at home with 3 powerline adapters sharing the internet connection across various devices across the house. I also work from home and am finding that the Sky broadband speed is not sufficient for me to connect to my company's network and work efficiently.

My company is happy to install a new phone line, and BT Fibre high speed connection specifically for my work at home, however I will need to get this to the top floor of a 3 storey townhouse and so wireless is not going to cut it. I was wondering if I could set up ANOTHER powerline circuit for the new broadband connection. However can you run two internet connections over the same mains infrastructure? Or would this cause interference?

Thanks
Options
4 Reply
Re:2 ISPs, 2 Sets of Powerline Adapters?
2017-08-17 14:41:51
Generally, it is possible to set up multiple PLC networks on the same power circuit. This however requires advanced setup features that the TP-Link toolkit doesn't offer - like restricting the sets to mutually exclusive channels.

The other alternative is to run two logical networks over your one physical installation. Generally this requires some work on the client computers, like setting them up for the right DHCP range etc.
Options
2017-08-17 17:13:58
Actually even though there are multiple powerline adapters, you can separate them into different internet connections.
The powerline adapters can recognize each other through network name and come into one network when they share the same network name. The network name can be found on the tpPLC utility.
Different powerline network won't cause interference.
However, the powerline adapters within one network should be plugged into a same power circuit.
Options
2 ISPs 2 Sets of Powerline Adapters
2017-08-29 07:59:03
Got TP-Link AV500 adapters. From the virgin box on the ground floor get DL speeds of 62Meg. 2nd floor office i get 15 meg tops. Is it normal to have such drop off?
Options
2017-08-29 14:54:08
The distance will kill some bandwidth. And you can test it in the same room. Check the link rate between two adapters, if it's too low, move the adapter to another socket, move away from high power appliance.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 803

Replies: 4

Related Articles