Comparison with other smart plugs - advantages - research?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-03-01 20:30:20
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi guys,

I really love the TP-Link smart plugs. I wanted to buy some new plugs and was researching about smart home plugs. I found in onlinestores cheaper smart plugs and was wondering if they are not as good as the TP-Link. I decided to buy three of these smart home plugs for £29.00 what is a lot cheaper:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078ZGNW99/ref=twister_B078ZKJNYZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I will test them tomorrow and will let you guys know, if and why TP-Link Smart plugs are better.

regards
Options
1 Reply
Re:Comparison with other smart plugs - advantages - research?
2018-03-03 12:55:06
Many of these low cost plugs are cloud only with no local API. So if the internet is out you can't control them, nor can you block them from communicating with their cloud servers, which makes it hard to protect them or yourself from being hacked. Worse if the company goes out of business their cloud servers will be shut down and you'll be stuck. You do need to be confident that company will keep your personal data safe and not exploit it nor purposely or inadvertently release it. Finally, check that they're certified for use in your country so that if there's a fire or some other damage that your insurance will cover it. Other than that they should be fine :).
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 525

Replies: 1