Connection via VPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Connection via VPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Connection via VPN
Connection via VPN
2018-03-26 00:56:52
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I've just set up an HS110 smart plug and I can turn it on and off with the iPhone Kasa app when the phone is directly connect to the local network.

However if I am connected to the local network via a VPN the Kasa app tells me I have to login to control my devices remotely.

Is there anything I can do to control the plug via a VPN without logging in?
Options
2 Reply
Re:Connection via VPN
2018-03-27 15:19:27
can you access other local network fine? vpn ip address is in the same subnet as plug?
have you enabled vpn to internet on the vpn router?
maybe you can ask for some suggestion from VPN router company.
Options
Re:Connection via VPN
2018-03-27 16:25:32

uutommi wrote

can you access other local network fine? vpn ip address is in the same subnet as plug?
have you enabled vpn to internet on the vpn router?
maybe you can ask for some suggestion from VPN router company.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Everything else is working OK across the VPN. However I can see that the iPhone does not have a valid MAC address when connected to the LAN via VPN so perhaps that is something to do with it. Or maybe Kasa cannot broadcast to find the plug.

I've worked around the issue by writing my own iPhone app to switch the plug on and off via VPN.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1348

Replies: 2

Related Articles