Network issues & Kasa

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Network issues & Kasa

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Network issues & Kasa
Network issues & Kasa
2018-08-11 00:28:19
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,
I recently purchased a HS100 and have only been playing with it for a week and have come up against a couple of issues. Not sure if anyone can help on this one as it might be a bit of an unusual arrangement. Possibly just me not understanding the KASA app?

1) I use a TP-Link Powerline wifi extender to provide wifi to my home office at the bottom of the garden. I wanted to use the switch to let me turn a light on in the office from the main house. I've set up the HS100 correctly and whilst I'm in the office I can control it perfectly. If I'm in the house though, it doesn't appear as an active device on my android phone running Kasa, apparently says it's remote. I tried running a network scanner app on the phone and I can see the HS100 and ping it's IP address fine so it is there. I'm presuming that the Android app is at fault and is not seeing it as a local device as it's not on the same wifi network although it is on the same IP network (and correct range etc). Annoyingly doing exactly the same with my partners iPhone gives me no issues and it operates correctly as I'd wanted.
2) Further to the above I'd idedally like to operate the switch remotely but by dialling in through a VPN rather than using the inbuilt servers (as I don't allow my IoT devices direct internet access). Again if I'm connected in on my VPN using my Android phone and a cellular connection, I can ping the HS100 fine so it's there but the Kasa app cannot see the switch even though it's on the same network? I think it must be an issue with the way the Kasa app works, possibly related to the first issue as above. I've not tried the same with the iPhone yet.

Thanks,
Matt
Options
1 Reply
Re:Network issues & Kasa
2018-08-11 22:12:21
Blocking IoT devices from the internet is very wise.

If you haven't already, try to connect the android phone to the extender instead and restart kasa - it could be Kasa just needs to pick up a new IP for the switch. Kasa discovery won't work across extenders so if that sorts it you'll need to reserve the HS100's IP.

If that doesn't work my app "WemoHome" on Play will do what you want, including over VPN (sorry for the name, it's old).

If you've got an old android device or a PC that's on all the time you can run AutomationManager and deny your IoT devices access to the internet while retaining access without a VPN and running automation. Otherwise you may find the TP Link schedule drifts as they use NTP to get the current time.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 717

Replies: 1

Related Articles