Ensure 1 out of 5 plugs is always on

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-02-04 19:25:16 - last edited 2019-02-04 19:26:23

Hi,

I have 5 plugs setup. They all are set to away mode for a defined period. The problem is that during this period it happens several times that all 5 plugs are off. Is there any way that I can ensure at any time as a minimum 1 plug is switched on?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Ensure 1 out of 5 plugs is always on
2019-02-05 05:10:51
Not that i am aware of. I think its all random timing. Ryan
Options
Re:Re:Ensure 1 out of 5 plugs is always on
2019-02-06 18:32:12

Could this be passed on as an enhancement request somewhere? To me it kind of defeats the purpose of away mode. It’s supposed to help pretend someone is home, but if there are periods where all lights are off, it does not serve the purpose. I would need to go back and define detailed and overlapping schedules manually instead of using away mode.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Ensure 1 out of 5 plugs is always on
2019-02-07 15:36:30

In AutomationManager (on google play) when running as an automation server you're given a lot of flexibility for security related random lighting.

For example, you might create 3 types - outdoor (often by motion or sunset/sunrise, with delays to on or off), indoor main (on for long periods with random on and off times like a family room or kitchen) and indoor secondary (smaller rooms like bathrooms/bedrooms that turn on then off randomly for short periods).  You can schedule any/all of these as appropriate to get what you need, including making sure different lights are on.

But to be honest I think it's overkill - unless you're a very high value target it's hard to picture someone observing your home for many days noting which lights turn on and off and whether they appear to be scheduled or random suggesting motion/occupation.  I gotta think that in 99.9% of cases if your lights are on, esp exterior, they'll go down the street to the next dark house (which I suspect is what you're concerned about), and it's probably enough to have some lights come on when it's dark.  With Automation you're able to randomize how long before/after sunset or sunrise the lights turn on/off pretty easily.

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Ensure 1 out of 5 plugs is always on
2019-03-01 18:42:17

Thanks Mike, after a break in that is the reason why I am looking for this enhancement. Agree, nobody will spy longtime and protocol when which room is lighted or dark. But, having that many minutes during away mode where all lights are out, it simply leaves the house completely dark. That should not happen if there would be a way to add a logic to have 1 light out of x lights switched on, while all devices are in away mode. Can this be passed on to R&D?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 849

Replies: 4