Connectivity drops leads to breaks in audio streaming

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-18 08:45:43 - last edited 2019-10-10 10:47:08
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.3.1

Hi,

Our network consists of two Deco M5s and has been working great. However, since a week or two, we have some issues. It started when trying to play audio via our Sonos, the music stops every other minute. When streaming radio, it continues after a few seconds. When streaming songs from Spotify it stops for a few seconds and then plays the next song.

When checking the connection via the Deco app, the signal seems very instable: sometimes the down speed is sometimes 0.5 Mbps, but then drops to 0 Kbps for a while. This is not only for the Sonos speaker but also for other devices connected to the network. The consequences are most clear for the Sonos. I do also lose the network connection on my laptop once in a while.

I don't know what is wrong: the light of the nearest Deco is green (it is also the main Deco) and the router seems to work fine. I have tried rebooting and checked for firmware updates. I have checked the connection speed and there seems to be no problem there.

Has anyone experienced this as well, knows what's going on and/or a possible solution?

Thanks in advance!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Connectivity drops leads to breaks in audio streaming-Solution
2019-10-09 09:14:50 - last edited 2019-10-10 10:47:08

@Kevin_Z 

Sonos' customer care got back to me. They noticed a delay of up to 50.000 milliseconds and recommended me to change the DNS in the Deco app. This seems to have solved the issues for me.

Again, thanks for the help.

Kind regards,

Bart

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Connectivity drops leads to breaks in audio streaming
2019-09-19 01:27:06

@Keijsers 

We will do some troubleshooting first and try to locate the issue and fix it.

What is the current network diagram? How do you connect these devices together? 

Who is your internet service provider and what is the bandwidth you paid for your ISP? 

When the sonos or PC stops working, please show us a screenshot of the speed test page on the Deco app.

In the meantime, with computer connected to the Deco, please test the actual speed you can get and show us a picture also.

What is more, it is suggested to disable fast roaming and setup application QoS as streaming to give it a go.

Still the same, setup QoS as standard and clear all the high priority rules.

May it help and have a good day. 

Options
2019-10-06 13:31:30

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for you reply. It took me a while to sit down and test some things.

What is the current network diagram? How do you connect these devices together? 

I am not sure how to draw a network diagram. I can describe how I set up the Decos though. We have one Deco (A) at the front of the house (I might take this more to the middle/back of the house). Deco A is connected to the router where the internet cable enters the house. Connected to Deco A are usually a Sonos, an Apple TV (not streaming at the same time), and up to 2 phones and laptops.

A second Deco (B) is in a building in our backyard, approx.. 10-15 meters from the other Deco. We use the building as a home office where up to two laptops are connected. When we set it up, the connection seemed to work and we have not experienced issues while working there.

The only thing I might do is move my Deco a bit closer to the back of the house. But I don’t see how this might improve the Sonos' connection.

Who is your internet service provider and what is the bandwidth you paid for your ISP? 

Our internet service provider is Ziggo. The bandwidth is 50Mbps down and 5Mbps up. So this matches quite well with the measured connection speed.

When the sonos or PC stops working, please show us a screenshot of the speed test page on the Deco app.

I don’t observe issues when checking the internet speed while the Sonos has issue with the playback, see the result (in Dutch) attached. I did not experience issue with my laptop anymore, so haven’t been able to capture this. My guess is that the connection drop is too brief?

In the meantime, with computer connected to the Deco, please test the actual speed you can get and show us a picture also.

All the above tests were when my computer was online too.

What is more, it is suggested to disable fast roaming and setup application QoS as streaming to give it a go.

Fast roaming was already disabled. I set up the QoS to streaming and it seems to improve it a bit, but there were still issues when streaming radio.

Still the same, setup QoS as standard and clear all the high priority rules.

This was the setup I had before. But am going to continue with QoS set to streaming for now.

Kind regards,

Bart

P.S. I also got in touch with Sonos support to see if they know what might be going on, since I mostly/only experience issues with the Sonos speaker.

Options
Re:Connectivity drops leads to breaks in audio streaming-Solution
2019-10-09 09:14:50 - last edited 2019-10-10 10:47:08

@Kevin_Z 

Sonos' customer care got back to me. They noticed a delay of up to 50.000 milliseconds and recommended me to change the DNS in the Deco app. This seems to have solved the issues for me.

Again, thanks for the help.

Kind regards,

Bart

Recommended Solution
Options
2019-10-10 10:46:34

@Keijsers 

Hello, Bart, thanks for your reply, glad to hear that you figured it out finally. Congrats. 

Now you can enjoy the internet with the Deco nodes.

Best regards. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1189

Replies: 4

Related Articles