MacBook Pro Not pickup up 5GHz wifi from Archer C7 (v5)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-07 11:35:42
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.11 Build 20190726 rel.57101(4555)

Hi,

I recently bought an Archer C7 (AC1750) router. Everything works well, but I can't seem to get my MacBook Pro (2013) to connect to the 5GHz band.

What I did to replicate the issue:

- Turn off router

- Turn on macbook

- Turn on router <at this point, macbook is still searching for wifi)

- Wait for router to finish boot - 2.5GHz comes on first, and then 5GHz

- Macbook connects to 2.4G immediately and there is no listing of 5GHz in the wifi list. 

- Now, if I turn off and then on the wifi on macbook, 5GHz is now detected and it connects to it. Why wasn't 5GHz detected earlier?

I'm using 80MHz as channel width setting and "Auto" as channel settings. 

Tried testing this with another router I have (Tenda AC1200), but in this case, my macbook immediately connects to the 5GHz band as soon as the router finishes the boot-up. Both routers have the same setting everywhere. Why does this happen? I don't want to keep restarting my macbook to find 5GHz when the router is still on. Is mine a defective product? 

Options
4 Reply
Re:MacBook Pro Not pickup up 5GHz wifi from Archer C7 (v5)
2019-10-07 11:57:36
On your MAC, go to system preferences, network, WIFI, advanced, and set the preferred order of your WIFI connections.
Options
2019-10-07 12:05:22

@ArcherC8 

I just tried this. Still 5GHz is not detected automatically (and not even listed in the wifi connections available) till I manually turn off and on the wifi in macbook.

Options
2019-10-08 06:56:59

@pkz78 

What about other devices? Do they have the same issue? 

Try to modify the channel of 5GHz and give it a shot, like channel 36, 40 and 44. 

Besides, please ensure that the firmware is up to date. 

And try to forget the profile of 2.4GHz and verify whether it will connect to the 5GHz once it booted up. 

How to forget profile on Mac: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/286/

May it help and have a good day. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2019-10-08 07:14:42 - last edited 2019-10-08 08:15:36

@Kevin_Z I only have 1 laptop in my home, so I've only tested this with macbook. For android phones that I have, I do not see this problem. 

The firmware is up to date - I checked it on the http://tplinkwifi.net firmware section.

The problem is not of "connecting" to 5GHz, but if macbook is searching for wifi since before router has boot up, the 5GHz is not even listed in the wifi list. Once I restart laptop OR turn off and on wifi, it auto connects to 5GHz. So, forgetting 2.5GHz essentially means, it won't connect to anything. 

I've tried all band and all channels combinations. Nothing has worked so far. This is the only part where the configuration of my Archer C7 differs from that of my Tenda ac1200. Tenda has channel 149 available and it's set to that, while C7 only has channels till 48 and I've set it to that. Is it possible to get channel 149 by flashing a different firmware version? maybe that is my last resort. 

Edit: I have an ASUS Transformer T100 convertible windows laptop. It's kinda old, but 5GHz still works on it so I tried to replicate this issue there. It was almost the same. I had to turn off and on the wifi in windows wifi settings for the 5GHz to be detected. So, I guess the problem is only with connecting to laptops and not mobile devices? 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4011

Replies: 4

Related Articles