HS300 Random power cycle

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS300 Random power cycle

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
HS300 Random power cycle
HS300 Random power cycle
2019-12-08 09:50:33 - last edited 2021-03-09 11:57:51
Model: AC50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.10

Have two HS300 running for about a week.  Two PC's on one and two PC's on another.   Two PC's that are plugged into 1 of the TP-links have rebooted due to brief power loss twice since I started using them.  No logging, can't figure out why these outlets on the strip are losing power breifly at random, causing windows PC to restart..  Any help/guidance is appreciated.

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:HS300 Random power cycle-Solution
2021-03-09 11:57:39 - last edited 2021-07-06 03:02:39

@cpitzi  Updated 6/23/2021 

For Smart Bulbs/ Smart Plugs power cycle problem, we have released some beta firmwares that fixed the problem, please check below thread for details.  

[Solution] Kasa devices reboot randomly

If your model does not have a beta firmware yet, please try suggestions here: 

1.    Check and ensure both the Kasa device's firmware and the Kasa app version are up-to-date. If not, update first.

2.    Factory reset the Kasa device by pressing the Reset button for 10 secs, keep it in the factory default state and observe whether it will reboot or not. 

3.    Create a Guest WIFI  on your main router and only leave the problematic  connected to Guest Wifi and see if the issue is gone (this is for troubleshooting purpose)

Or put tp-link smart device on a different VLAN/ isolated network for test purpose. 

4.    If your network is a Mesh network, please try to turn off the fast roaming or  beam forming  function on your mesh router.

If same issue persist, please send us the information below and we will have a spacilist to follow up your case. 

1)  The above troubleshooting you have tried and the results

2)  The network topology of your home:  like modem—router—AP.   More detailed network topology helps more,  like the model of network devices and the network segment, like 192.168.1.0.

3)  The specific model of router: like TP-Link Archer A7 

4) The frequency of auto-reboot : 

5)  Are there other Kasa devices that can work normally? 

Recommended Solution
Options
76 Reply
Re:HS300 Random power cycle
2019-12-10 09:30:18

@socon 

What is the power consumption of the two PCs? Try  to plug them into the second HS300 and verify whether you have the same issue. 

Try to plug only one PC into the original HS300 and test whether it works. 

Besides, please ensure that the firmware of the HS300 is up to date. try to change another outlets to plug them also. 

Any updates, please let us know. 

Options
2019-12-10 23:02:30

@Kevin_Z 

Hi,

Interestingly, when the strip plugs all cycled off and on at the same time, it was when the PC's are in sleep mode.  This is how I first noticed the issue.  All of a sudden the 2 PC's connected to this one strip powered on (unclean shutdown) at the same time in the middle of the night when no one was using them.  When they are in sleep mode they use ~2W.  These same PC's seem to pul about 100W when running.

This begs the question, is there an upper limit of kW you should avoid lest you experience a random power cycle on all plugs in a strip?  OR are there any scenarios where this is a known issue?  My first calls into support returned a slightly unclear messaging that if your Internet was spotty, possibly this could be causing the power blips, which doesnt seem ok to me.

I would plug them into the other HS300 I have but it is also exhibiting the same issue.  Two PC's hanging off of that buy were found with unclean shutdowns, both at the same time.  

For now I have reset one of the two to factory and seeing if this resurfaces.

Options
2020-05-19 01:39:08
I've had the same thing happen. I had one that had two PCs on it (max power of 1000w max for both, three monitors (each 90w max), and a laptop (90w max). All of these are way under the max rating of 1875W. The two PCs NEVER pull a max watt load and are usually only about 100-400W each depending on the system. Mine was glitching out, then it would be fine for a few days, maybe a couple weeks, then it would glitch out again. The unit becomes unresponsive, the ring light changes from white to orange, after about 3-5 seconds, you can hear it click and all the outlets shut off, then click again and it changes to blinking green and then a few seconds after that goes back to white. I thought it was just a defective power strip. Lucky for me (or not) I bought two of these at the same time at Fry's brand new in November 2019. I swapped out the one being glitchy with a brand new one and it glitched out even worse. I made sure all the power strips had the latest firmware of 1.0.19. So with the new one with the same load, except minus the two PCs, it still was glitching out. I plugged the old one into a different outlet and watched it do the same thing with NOTHING connected to it. Sending commands to the power strips was a sure fire way of getting them to glitch out. not sure what's happening here, but the HS300s seem broken, or a firmware glitch or something.
Options
2020-06-09 11:32:12 - last edited 2020-06-09 11:34:20

@socon I have two of the HS300.  Both are having this same issue with them randomly rebooting.
Hardware version 1.0
Firmware version 1.0.19

Options
2020-06-10 04:32:47

In the end, I returned my two as no solution could be found.  I'll give them a try again if it looks like they get these guys stable.

Options
2020-09-05 18:34:25 - last edited 2020-09-05 18:49:43

@socon i am also getting random power cycles on the HS300 firmware 1.0.19

I have two of these devices and they both do it. Both are barely using any power so it's not being overloaded.

Looks like a firmware bug. It's probably crashing and then rebooting. tp link emoloyees don't know how to do their job. They discontinued the HS110 which was the only product that actually works and does power monitoring. I bought the HS300 because i couldn't get the HS110. I would return it, but sadly, this is the only product I could find that does power monitoring.

Options
2020-09-06 05:15:32

@hdjgjrjs I moved all my important items off the HS300 and onto HS110.  I only have plain lights on the HS300 now.  Bascially the HS300 is hardly being used since it is not reliable.  On my list to call support to see if they can replace of do something about the two HS300 units.

I still see the HS110 on the Tp-Link web site.  Where did you see they were discontinued?

Options
2020-09-07 02:38:10

@socon I just had it reset itself again.  I moved everything off these power strips except some rarely used lights.  So, I rarely see it happen.

Options
2020-09-13 06:25:52

@socon 

Thanks for sharing your experience! 

I have been having the exact same issue. I first reported the problem to Kasa support and got a very generic copy paste response. I have tried to escalate this with Kasa through other avenues.

My HS300 rebooted on Sunday 9/13 at 2:05am EST.

I have already lost a TV due to the power strip rebooted in the middle of TV doing a firmware update. Kasa is honestly not very helpful to recognize that this problem is affecting multiple users.

Please keep this thread open and share additional feedback and hopefully we can make them admit that the issie exists and it needs to be fixed.

Options
2020-09-30 19:39:41 - last edited 2020-09-30 20:47:29

I also have two HS300 units that power cycle in a way that seems completely random, usually multiple times a day for each unit. The light turns orange as the power is momentarily cut to all the connected devices, which are all simple low-power lights. I've tested the wall outlets themselves for electrical issues and have yet to find anything out of the ordinary.

Tech support was fairly useless, as the only option they offered was to factory restore, which I've done twice for each unit with the same results.

Hopefully a firmware update, or at least a statement from TP-Link about this widespread issue, is on the horizon.

Hardware version 1.0
Firmware version 1.0.19

Options

Information

Helpful: 6

Views: 14185

Replies: 78

Related Articles