KC110 Connecting to Wifi, but not the cloud service

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-05 06:58:14
Model: KC110  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Had no issues setting up multiple light bulbs and power adapters, nor the KC100 camera. All are working perfectly...

However, the KC110 camera is not completing setup on the iOS (Connects to WiFi and then gets stuck in a DNS loop) but does complete setup with an Andriod phone. However, once set, it does not establish a connection with the cloud service (multiple attempts can be seen in the router logs, including TLS handshakes) but the light on the camera continues to flash green and the device does not appear in the device list (It first appears during setup very briefly - then disappears never to be seen again.

A.The model number of the camera and how many cameras do you have in total and the affected camera.
KC110
B.The hardware and firmware version of the camera.
Brand new out of the box, can't tell what the version is.
C.The troubleshooting methods you have tried and the results.
Fully opened the firewall(Published camera as unprotected device) - Failed
Set custom DNS (8.8.8.8) - Failed
Reset Camera- Failed
Restarted Phone - Faile
Restarted Router - Failed
Restarted Wifi Router - Failed
Used another phone (iOS & Android) - Failed
Any combination of the above - Failed
D.The model number of the main router.
Fritz Box 7390
DLink Covr 2200
E.The purchase date of the camera. 
Today! (Note, The KC100 also purchased today and several LB100s all setup fine, quick and easy. Only this device is causing issues)

Options
10 Reply
Re:KC110 Connecting to Wifi, but not the cloud service
2020-03-07 20:49:06

@ZackryTinaus

Exactly the same problem, did you manage to find a way of getting the camera onto the network in the end please?

Options
2020-03-07 20:58:12

@Huntcliff 

Yes I did...

After a lot of diagnostics work with TPLink support we discovered that my issue was due to their APIs when obtianing security tokens to link the camera to my account.

Turns out that "special" characters in the password was the issue for me, specifically the apostrophe symbol ( ' ).

Try changing your TPLink password to a simpler one using a combination of lower & upper case characters and numbers only.

Then reset the camera and try again to connect it to your account.

Hope that helps.

Dean.

Options
2020-03-07 21:40:01

@ZackryTinaus 

Thanks for the heads up.... I don't think that's the issue as I've nothing too exotic there... I was sort of hoping it was something I could tweak on the router.

Ta for replying though.

Options
2020-03-07 21:59:09

@ZackryTinaus 

Out of curiosity, I reduced the length of my WiFi password which was below their 64 character limit and I was able to link the camera.... looking like that's where the issue is for me.

Options
2020-03-08 02:29:41

@Huntcliff 

Hey, glad you sorted it! It seems the API that provides the token ahtuenticating the camera to your account is more severely restricted that I realised. When I simplified my password, I went for a really simple one and skipped this problem.

Now that your camera is authenticated and linked to your account, you should be able to change your password back to a more secure one as I did.

*** Highly recommend you do this for obvious reasons.  ***

Options
2020-03-08 14:26:42

@ZackryTinaus 

Having spent a couple of days wrestling with two cameras, I can't get them to reliably stay on the network.

They're getting boxed up and shipped back tomorrow I think. 

Thank you for the hints and sharing your experience though.

Options
2020-03-09 02:07:38

@Huntcliff 

Hi, sorry to hear your camera is not working properly. If you don't mind, we can try to do some troubleshooting here. 

You can set up the camera, but sometimes it will offline, right? What's the light status on the camera then? Can you still see the camera on the app when your phone is connecting to the same wifi with it? Can you see it when connecting to other networks or use mobile data?

Do you have any special settings on the router such as firewall, Mac filtering or access control?

Options
2020-03-09 09:07:01
Hi I can get the camera to connect if I make a quick subnetwork that allocates its own IP addresses on a WiFi extender... but if I try to attach to the primary network then I have no joy at all. Phone is on the same WiFi, I'm very close to the router, and I cannot see any special settings on the router that I've enabled... It just cannot seem to complete the last stage of allocating an IP address and adding to the cloud as I cannot spot it in the devices list of the router. Thank you H
Options
2020-03-10 02:54:15

@Huntcliff 

Hi, what's your router's model number? You mean the camera can connect to the wifi extender's network, but not the router's main network, right?

If you set up a static IP address on your router for the camera, does it work? Please try to change your router's DNS to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4, change the wireless channel to 1 or 6 or 11, the security to WPA/WPA2, then install the camera again. 

After the settings, what's the light status on the camera?  What's the camera's hardware version and MAC address? What's your phone's model number and system version? Please also check the Kasa app version, thanks. 

Options
2020-03-31 10:38:27

@ZackryTinaus 

EXACTLY this issue.... smart plug - no probs.... This is for monitoring inside a shed and so have a ZTE 4G modem... Didn;t work... Brought it home - works on home network...

Tried changing account to a simpler name... simplified password for account....no change.... Tried adding Google DNS to 4G connect profile no change...

Seriously pissed off....

Definately a bug...

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2243

Replies: 10