Kasa no longer works over bridged connections

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-08 14:16:46 - last edited 2020-02-11 22:10:34
Model: HS110  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.7

I have 2 HS110 smart plugs but the app now no longer works on a bridged connection in this scenario:

Let's call the main network Network A and the bridge network Network B

Network B is bridging Network A

The smart plugs are on Network A

The mobile device with Kasa is on Network B

The devices on Network B can contact devices on Network A but not vice-versa.

My speculation is the problem this now causes with Kasa is that it assumes the devices can be reached both ways. But the plugs fail to send data back to the mobile device on Network B. This results in a "failed to resolve command" error on the app. The only way then is to switch WiFi off and use mobile data. This also causes a much longer first response time when using mobile data as the app now waits to timeout after 30 seconds before using it over the internet and start working. I thought the app was broken at first because it was taking so long. It seems this change was done server side as I hadn't downloaded any updates before getting this problem.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Kasa no longer works over bridged connections
2020-02-12 11:16:15
Hello, when did you purchase the smart plugs and were they working fine before in the same scenarios? Besides, the network B is bridging network A via wireless or wired connection? is there a NAT product(router) in the network B as well?
Options
2020-02-12 11:33:52 - last edited 2020-02-12 12:32:06

It's bridging via wireless connection and the bridging device uses NAT. I have just tried it again and it all seems to be working fine now. So I don't know what happened.

EDIT: It was also working fine over mobile data but just got the annoying 30 second delay again. Whatever is causing this problem needs fixing.

Options
2020-02-15 08:53:04

tpbpsib wrote

It's bridging via wireless connection and the bridging device uses NAT. I have just tried it again and it all seems to be working fine now. So I don't know what happened.

EDIT: It was also working fine over mobile data but just got the annoying 30 second delay again. Whatever is causing this problem needs fixing.

@tpbpsib 

When you use the mobile data to control the plug, it will be the remote contorl, the network quality may affect the connection. Pleaes try to use different networks or devices to control the plug, do you have the same issue?

Besides, please make sure your plug's firmware version and the APP version are up to date.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 960

Replies: 3