Votes

Need a Kasa remote control switch!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-26 12:06:57 - last edited 2021-04-22 05:39:58

Last year I upgraded my older X-10 devices to Kasa smart switches and plugs, and am very happy with the results.  But I miss not being able to control my lights and devices using a variety of key fob remote controls or surface-mounted 2-, 4- or 6-gang wall switches.

Now that Kasa supports smart actions, allowing a smart switch to control other smart switches, plugs or groups, I can install a new smart switch and have it control any light or device already controlled by a smart switch or plug.  But that requires a new work box and hot/neutral wires for the switch.

It would be great if TP-Link sold a thin, decora switch-sized, battery powered remote control smart switch.

Lutron sells such a switch (called a pico switch) for their Caseta line of smart switches.  It's the size of a standard decora wall switch, but is very thin, and can either be used standalone (handheld or sitting on a table or desk), or it can be surface-mounted on a wall (no junction box required) with a standard decora switch cover, providing all the capabilities of a smart switch, but with no wiring required.

Imagine you have an overhead light in a room that's controlled by a single Kasa smart switch.  You'd like to add a second wall switch on the other side of the room to control the light (basically a 3-way switch application).  You can do that today with a standard Kasa smart switch, but that would still require new wiring and a new work box.  With a new Kasa remote control smart switch you would simply mount the new remote control switch on the wall, and assign a smart action to the new switch (to have it control the other smart switch).

This new remote control smart switch would be battery powered (user replaceable) and thin enough to surface mount it on a wall with a standard decora switch cover (Lutron sells a special backing plate for mounting their pico switch on a wall).  It would connect to your WiFi network the same as a standard Kasa switch.  It would probably have separate on and off buttons, instead of the rocker switch used with the existing smart switches.

The challenges would be: 1) Fit the electronics into such a thin case, and 2) Provide sufficient battery life so the user isn't changing batteries frequently.

Options
17 Reply
Re:Need a Kasa remote control switch!
2020-07-17 18:15:49 - last edited 2021-04-22 05:39:58

@Prl519 I thnk this is a great idea!  Amazon had their buttons that would allow you to control routines but they are no longer being made.  Samsung Smartthings has their button, but it does not work with the Deco smart router app.   

I like this idea!

Ryan

Options
2021-04-11 02:30:32 - last edited 2021-04-22 05:39:58

@Prl519 +1 for this! I'm in the process of switching from Lutron to TP-Link devices/switches, but the one thing that I'm missing is a TP-Link version of Lutron's Pico remote! I reallllly hope TP-Link offers something like that ASAP as I'll be the first one to order it :)!

Options
2021-05-09 19:11:46
Yes, agreed!!! That would be perfect! Not sure WHY they do not have something like it...
Options
2021-05-11 12:51:53

One thing I discovered trying to use a Kasa wall switch as a "virtual" remote switch (it's not connected to any physical load) is that it doesn't always know the on/off state of the remote device it's controlling.

I have a wall switch configured to remotely control a table lamp that is plugged into a Kasa smart plug.  The plug itself is under the table, so I can't use the on/off button on the plug itself to turn the lamp on or off.  Instead, I use Alexa or the remote wall switch turn the lamp on or off.  But if I use Alexa to turn the lamp on or off, the wall switch doesn't "know" about that change in the lamp's state. So the illuminated white circle on the rocker switch may not "agree" with the current state of the lamp.  The result is that pressing the rocker switch may turn the lamp on when it's already on, or turn it off when it's already off.  The "fix" is to simply press the switch again.

This is further complicated by the fact that there's a noticeable delay using the virtual remote feature, since the signal to turn on or off the controlled device(s) must get sent, over the internet, to your Kasa account, and then routed back down to the device(s).  In my case that delay is about 1-2 seconds.  So if I press my virtual wall switch to turn my table lamp on or off, it takes a second or two to see if the lamp changes state.  If it doesn't (meaning the switch and smart plug are out of sync)  I have to press the switch again, resulting in another 1-2 sec delay.  Certainly not "instant" as would be the case if the wall switch were directly controlling the lamp.

A Kasa hub controller would solve this problem (the hub would know the state of every defined device, and could communicate that state with every smart switch or plug), and eliminate the delay described above, but not requiring a central hub is one of the best features of Kasa (keeps the cost down and the configuration much simpler), so...

Paul

Options
2021-05-13 23:52:02

@Prl519 

How did you configure the switch to control the plug?

Just ordered one and tried ... Can't find this option.

Help would be apprichated!

Thanks

Options
2021-05-14 06:39:51

@MikeSun 

It's done using Kasa's Smart Actions feature.  You'll find the Smart Actions icon at the bottom of the Kasa app's screen.  Click on it, then click the '+' icon to add a new action.  You'll have four action choices: Motion Sensing, Control with a Switch, Schedule a Scene, and Auto-Off Timer.  Select the Control with a Switch choice.  Then select your switch from your list of switch devices.  Then select a device or group of devices you want to control from the switch.  Finally, give your smart action a name, like 'Control LR Lamp'.

I use a smart action to allow the wall switch that controls my front door light to turn on and off all of my outdoor lights.  This is very convenient as I can now turn on and off all of my outdoor lights from that one switch.  That gave me the idea that I didn't need a switch to be wired to any device; I could just wire it to power and neutral, and then use a smart action to have it control any device(s) I want.

Hope that helps.

Options
2021-05-14 17:49:08

@Prl519 

Super! That works great  Not sure why I did not see it enlightened

Options
2021-10-10 17:42:50

@Prl519 I completely agree there should be switches available for the plugs! Im in the dilemma now that my bedroom switch controls only the plug directly below it, but our light needs to be plugged on other side of room so we walk across a dark room to push the button on actual Kasa plug, or use the app to turn on (when we remember to have our phones with us)

Options
2021-10-10 17:55:46

@MamaRita 

Well, you can use a switch and configure it in a group. That will do the job. 

You can use any Kasa light switch to switch a Kasa plug or another Kasa Switch. 

I use it as a "wireless 2 way switch" to switch a dimmer switch on the other side of the room.

BUT IMPORTANT!!!   The key is that you need a ballast on the "empty" switch to make it work.

I got this one and it just works fine: https://amz.run/4xeH

MamaRita wrote

@Prl519 I completely agree there should be switches available for the plugs! Im in the dilemma now that my bedroom switch controls only the plug directly below it, but our light needs to be plugged on other side of room so we walk across a dark room to push the button on actual Kasa plug, or use the app to turn on (when we remember to have our phones with us)

Options
2021-10-10 18:38:52

@MikeSun so you're saying : I need a Kasa switch for the outlet by my door - but if I don't plug anything into it I need the ballast like you recommended ... once that is all set, I can use the switch by my door & setup a group with the kasa plug controlling my lamp?  

Options

Information

Helpful: 30

Views: 21339

Replies: 17

Voters 23

+ 19 Voters