HS110 Energy Monitoring Not Working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-11 10:46:33 - last edited 2020-08-21 06:31:29
Model: HS110  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.5

Hi All,

I've been using a HS110 (V2) plug for a couple of years without any issues. I finally bit the bullet and decided to buy another one to use on some other devices at home with the view of getting more plugs and expand the energy monitoring and "smart" functionality throughout our rooms.

Rightly or wrongly, I purchased another HS110 on eBay which was sold as "New" and "Sealed". True enough, when I received it, it still had the shrink wrap around the box. I went through the same setup and added it to my Kasa account and can play around with the remote control function over Wi-Fi no problem. Immediately after getting it on the network, it prompted to complete a firmware update which completed successfully and now shows it as running firmware 1.2.5.

When I look at the Energy Monitoring screen, it always shows as 0.00w current power and 0.00kWh total consumption; whilst the runtime increases no problem.

The only difference between the two plugs I have are this "new" one is a V1 whereas the one I bought a couple of years ago is a V2.

Here are the things I have tried:

• Restart the HS110 V1
  • Connect a low power device to the HS110 V1 (an iPhone charger)
  • Connect a high power device to the HS110 V1 (a 55" LED TV)
  • Restart the HS110 V1 and keep the HS110 V2 off the network
  • Remove the HS110 V1 from my Kasa account and re-add it
  • Complete a reset on the HS110 V2 by holding down the top button for 10-15 seconds and re-add it to my Kasa account
  • Remove both the HS110 V1 and HS110 V2 from my Kasa account and add only the HS110 V1
  • Reinstall the Kasa app on my iPhone SE, still cannot view energy monitoring
  • Install the Kasa app on a Samsung Galaxy S8, still cannot view energy monitoring
  • Install the Kasa app on a Google Pixel 4, still cannot view energy monitoring
  • Change my network's SSID to something different, reset the HS110 V1, re-add to my Kasa account with the new network details
  • Change my network to force 2.4GHz and turn off the 5GHz band, reset the HS110 V1 and re-add to my account with new network details
  • Contact TP-Link online support and provided log files that don't show a huge amount of information

I appreciate to get the best support, eBay is not the place to buy from. I took the risk and whilst it appears to be a genuine sale, I don't know where the issue lies and I'm out of ideas.

Is there *anything* else I can try with the plug to either force a different type of "reset" or reinstall the firmware? I don't know if the energy monitoring worked on the stock firmware or if it broke after the update - unfortunately I didn't look at that bit before the firmware update prompt and I wish I did. 

I find the functionality of the HS110 to be great for what I want and would have happily gone ahead and purchased 5-6 more, but I'm a bit hesitant if there are known issues perhaps with the V1 and there is no guarantee on what a retailer may send.

Thanks for any guidance and input folks.

Nick

Options
6 Reply
Re:HS110 Energy Monitoring Not Working
2020-08-13 07:20:39 - last edited 2020-08-18 13:26:33

@norwichnick 

Hello,

It seems your case has been escalated to the engineers and she had replied to help you replace this unit, as it seems it is faulty.

Please respond to her email and follow the RMA procedure to replace it, thanks.

Options
2020-08-18 13:26:27

@Brook unfortunately when I try to register the product on the TP-Link site, I cannot add my address being in the United Kingdom, only United States is available. I have replied to the person that contacted me to create the RMA request, however I have not heard anything back for a few days now - very slow support.

My post here to the community was due to the way the item has been purchased since I do not expect you to cover anything with this being an eBay sale. So far this seems to be the case and I was looking to see if anyone has experienced the same issue and has come up with a fix rather than replacing the plug.

Regards,

Nick

Options
2020-08-21 01:50:16 - last edited 2020-08-21 06:31:29

@norwichnick 

Hello Nick, thanks for clarifying the details.

If this unit is a second-hand device from eBay, we cannot help you with the RMA as you assumed, we are sorry about that.

Options
2020-08-21 12:34:18
If the HS110 can measure power as reported in the original post it sounds like an APP problem rather than a hardware problem. I've just had a look at my V1 HS110 in the app and it too will show current power consumption but the totals and averages remain blank. It could be because I have blocked it from the internet if that's where the values are recorded. But it could also be the app is broken.
AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2020-10-17 08:43:34

@Brook @norwichnick i have a new hs110. Same problem as everyone else. I bought it so I can see what's going on with my DIY solar battery setup. I am in tech conversation with support. I just noticed this thread - support failed to say it's a common "problem" 😠 They've asked me to set my main house router to DNS 8.8.8.8. I have 🙄, but it hasn't worked. The energy button shows 2 pages - energy used, and how long the switch was on each day - plus a permanent little dialog saying "something went wrong". The energy used is all zero (shown as dashes).

This is great little plug, and still useful. But I wish Tplink would own up to it, and say there's a fix on the way, or something. The number of hours we're each wasting as end users is annoying, and off-putting 

Cheers 

Steve 

Options
2020-10-17 09:47:20

@Thelymp good to hear from you Steve. 

It is definitely a shame this isn't something being taken forward by their support. You're right, they're a good plug, but they do seem to have their problems. 

I made it quite clear to them (TP-Link Support) that I purchased mine "new" from eBay. The only answers I got were to submit an RMA, which I can't do as I'm not the original purchaser. 

I would be up for changing my network setup to give the solution given to you a try, but I have a v2 of the plug that works perfectly. The v1 is the one with the problem. 

The guy I bought it from on eBay offered me a refund but I've not taken it. It's not his fault it has problems (it came to me still shrink wrapped).

Sadly this means I won't be buying a load more as anticipated to put all around the house on things to monitor. It's a shame because I've not had issues with TP-Link products in the past.

But there you go. Live and learn, you get what you pay for. 

Good luck with yours if you are still searching for a solution. Maybe you can post here if you find something that gives that magical fix. Preferably without involving a large hammer. 

Stay safe,

Nick

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2202

Replies: 6

Related Articles