LES bulbs not turning off

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-17 07:37:40
Model: HS100  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi folks,

Am using HS100 to turn on/off some SOFFIT lamps, (LED).  Programmed Schedule all works fine however on occasion the lamps are still on in the morning when they shoud have turned off at 2300.   The plug itself is turned off and I can turn the lamps off OK by cycling the power for say 5 secs.  The plug seems OK however I have read elsewhere about smart plugs having a slight leakage which when LEDs are the load can result in them staying on even when the 240v mains has effectively been turned off by the plug.  The LED lamps are 12 volt and a total load of around 24 watts on the circuit.  There is an LED driver transformer rated at (60w) which steps down from 240v to 12v.  Generally it works fine but occasionally they stay on (say once a fortnight).  One suggestion I have read elsewhere is to swop one of the LED bulbs back for halogen as increasing the load will negate the small leakage current from the plug lighting the LEDs.....seems to defeat the object of doing it tho if I resort to this?

Anuone had similar experience?

Options
1 Reply
Re:LES bulbs not turning off
2020-09-17 13:30:49

@JOS18 This doesn't sound right... Yes, smart plugs use a little power (1W-2W) to run, but they take it from the line in and out through neutral.  Power to the load side of an HS100 (and most smart switches other than dimmers) is sent via a mechanical relay (you hear a click) that completely breaks the connection.  Sounds like a wiring problem or something on the load (LED transformer) side of the circuit and it seems unlikely it has anything to do with the HS100 if the relay is off.

The exception might be if the HS100 is older - the relay might be sticking open/on.  If you try tapping the switch it might power off the leds which would confirm it.

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 401

Replies: 1

Related Articles