Switch for remote reset (power cycle) of Internet cable modem/router via Internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Switch for remote reset (power cycle) of Internet cable modem/router via Internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-06 05:48:12 - last edited 2020-10-06 06:21:04

I am looking for a  switch, which can be used for a remote reset of  Internet cable modem/router as well as other home hardware.

That is I want to remotely initiate a short (1-2 min) power OFF/ON cycle for the Internet cable modem/router.

The default state of the switch on boot must be  always ON, regardless  if the internet connection is available or not.

I will install it at home of my elderly mother, so  everything must be done and controlled remotely.

I tested HS103P2 Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Plug Lite. Yes, it can be controlled remotely from anywhere.

Unfortunately,  it cannot be used to power ON the home Internet cable modem/router  which provides internet connection for the HS103P2 itself.

In other words, I will be able to use    HS103P2 to power OFF the internet modem  once, but then there will be no internet connection  for the  HS103P2 to turn it back ON.

Also, if the power at home is lost and HS103P2 reboots, it will start in OFF state.

I can probably design  the power cycle  switch by  hooking up HS103P2 to some sort of a   timer which will generate a short (1-2 min) power OFF cycle. But it would be nice to have a  ready, simple and robust  hardware device similar to HS103P2 which will do just that.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Switch for remote reset (power cycle) of Internet cable modem/router via Internet
2020-10-09 03:50:13

@Alex-ON 

Good day.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Have you tried to use the schedule feature on the HS103 to turn on and off the plug at the specific time since the schedule would still take effect when there is no internet service, such as https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/947/

Thanks a lot.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1812

Replies: 1

Related Articles