HS200 Turns Off by Tightening Bottom Screw

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-16 04:51:07
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.1.3

I just installed a HS200 smart switch for the first time today. The switch is used for a front porch light and two garage lights. Mid-80s house and this junction box is on an exterior wall. It seems like a plastic box with a metal bracket/metal screws inside and metal at the top holding the romex in place. The grounds were all clamped together and the excess cut off. There was a second (3-way) switch in the box which is no longer in use, so that is most of the extra wires. I get the exact same result with the ground connected or disconnected.

Issue: When screwing the bottom screw into the box there is an exact point at which the switch will turn off. It is getting tight at this point but I can still wiggle it back and forth a little. There is exposed metal on the back of this switch behind that screw terminal, is this for trying to get a ground from the box? If it is not that metal it is possible my uneven wall and box is flexing the unit too much? No matter how hard I press the bottom against the wall I can't recreate this without the screw.

I tested the live wire in the box using the bare copper ground in there and the reading is 120v. I don't know what other tests would be useful.

Hopefully you will just tell me to put down the drill and pick up the screwdriver next time. Thanks

Options
3 Reply
Re:HS200 Turns Off by Tightening Bottom Screw
2020-10-16 10:56:58
Turning off - do you mean the switch loses power? If so, likely a wire is loose in the pigtails and tightening the screw cause it to lose contact. If the switch works before screwing it in place and you've powered on the fixture while installing it (you really shouldn't be doing that), and the fixture turns off but the switch itself doesn't lose power, then perhaps the switch is being over flexed, or something is pressing the small reset or restart buttons at the bottom of the switch.
AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2020-10-16 15:20:28 - last edited 2020-10-16 15:23:00

@MikeP correct the switch loses power if I tighten that bottom screw all the way. I pulled everything out of the box and re-tied everything to be sure and nothing was loose. It is a difference of just a few threads on the screw that can make it power off. I turned the power back on only to tigthen things up and discovered this issue. I've learned the hard way so I echo your sentiment to anyone reading this about turning the power off.

I did not realize about the reset button the bottom until now and I bet that is what's happening. The switch is firmly in place and my house didn't burn down last night so hoping that's all. Thanks for the tip.

Options
2020-10-16 16:54:23
No fire is good :). It occurred to me the switch could be flexing to interrupt internal power to the board too, that'd fit with your description (if it's not those buttons). For shallow boxes it's can sometimes help to push the pigtails out from behind the switch but it can be a struggle to fit.
AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 575

Replies: 3

Related Articles