HS103 and KP400 smart plugs "flashing" (resetting) for 1 second randomly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS103 and KP400 smart plugs "flashing" (resetting) for 1 second randomly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
46 Reply
Re:HS103 and KP400 smart plugs "flashing" (resetting) for 1 second randomly
2020-11-18 14:42:25

Chadab wrote

@SimonC. I'm having the same exact issue. I just purchased my plugs about a week and a month ago. I have the KP400 and the KP303. Both are having the issue where it will at random click and disconnent anything using that plug for a split second. I have noticed that if I perform a constant ping on the devices it actually loses network connection when it experiences the clicks. It's like it's reseting the wireless component and has to reestablish connection. I too have a ticket open for the KP400. I didn't realize the KP303 was having the issue because I did not have it in use at the time. Both seem to lose connection at the same time. I checked other devices on my network via a constant ping and nothing else is losing connection at that time or showing any type of ping issue. Only those two plugs. 

Very strange indeed. This is my first experience with Kasa devices. I recently purchased them because they were on sale. I'm beginning to regret that decision... Hopefully they will finally admit an issue and release a firmware update. 

@Chadab if I can reassure you, I use TP-Link Kasa since mid-2017 now (pretty much when they first arrived on the market) and I never had a single issue so far with none of my products and I own about a dozen of them. I own several HS200 wall switches and I also own several HS105 smarts plugs for a while and they are all going perfectly fine in the moment. This is very strange because both of my HS200 switches and HS105 plugs are powering lights for like 10 hours per day so I can confirm that I don't observed a single reset of power outage yet on these. Only my HS103 smarts plugs (4x) and my KP400 (1x) are affected by this issue. But HS105 are a also an older hardware revision than the HS103. Now the HS105 are pretty much not sold anymore as it's been replaced by HS103 who are cheaper and basically the only difference between HS105 and HS103 is that the HS105 were rated to 15 amps and the HS103 are rated to 12 amps. Otherwise they are 100% physically identical. I own my several HS105 for about 2-3 years ago while I own the HS103 for only about about 1.5 years now. So they are totally different hardware revision. I own the KP400 for about 6-7 months now.

I am confident that TP-Link will take care of the problem and fix it soon. Since if you do a quick search on Google about "HS103 issue", you'll found A LOT of posts from the past few weeks in 2020 (about a month ago), so this is not an isolate case at all and the behavior (the issue) with the KP400 are identical and I can tell for the KP303 since I don't own one (yet). So it's sure that TP-Link engineering department can't deny the problem at this point.

Options
2020-11-18 17:11:43

@SimonC. Thanks. I'm hoping they will as well. I'm not ready to give up on them just yet. I think I just entered the Kasa ecosystem at a bad time. 

Options
2020-11-19 02:13:04

@SimonC. 

Hi, thank you very much for your detailed information.

I have already replied the support email, and please have a check of the email and reply with the required information.

Thanks a lot for your time and patience.

Options
2020-11-19 02:37:56

Brook wrote

@SimonC. 

Hi, thank you very much for your detailed information.

I have already replied the support email, and please have a check of the email and reply with the required information.

Thanks a lot for your time and patience.

@Brook yes, I just reply to your email, but for the benefit of all people who are following this thread, here's my public answer :

Based on your last email, I believe we are on the wrong track in the moment about this issue and this problem needs to be elevated to your highest engineering department immediately. Because as working myself in IT for 20 years now, I can’t see the point of doing a warranty replacement of all my HS103 plugs and my KP400 plugs because I just took 2x new HS103 units today as I explained earlier that I had at home (spare, unused) and immediately after powering them up, the issue of the unexpected reboot was immediately present on these 2x new HS103 units too.

To answer your question, my home router is a Bell Home Hub 3000, but I am not using it for Wi-Fi access point, instead I use a TP-Link Omada wireless system (with 2x EAP225-v3 access point) and my internet connection is extremely stable as well. Moreover, I would like to understand how a unstable internet connection may cause smarts plugs to unexpectedly reboot? For example, if I turn off completely my internet router, it don't make my smarts plugs or smart switches to reboot... the only thing that they go offline and then they simply reconnect to the internet when the network is back online...

If TP-Link really wants to send me some new HS103 units for testing purpose, I'll be pleased to test them for you and see if the issue is still appears, but I already know it will, since I just took 2x new units myself this afternoon and issue were present on these new units too...

Finally, since I was able to find A LOT of recent customer complaints about this exact same issue on different discussion forums on the internet, we can't conclude that this case is isolated to my house or my home network...

Options
2020-11-19 03:37:18

@Chadab 

Hi, Chad

Thank you very much for your kind reply.

I have seen that the local support has already followed up on your case by email and would process the warranty service.

Please feel free to update the email if you have any further issue.

Really sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks a lot for your understanding and support.

Options
2020-11-19 21:09:16

@SimonC. @Brook I'm also having this same issue with the 4 HS103 plugs I purchased about a month ago. Definitely seems to be an innate issue with the HS103. I'll follow this thread to see what the tp-link engineers can come up with!  

Options
2020-11-19 21:14:07

greenjonathan08 wrote

@SimonC. @Brook I'm also having this same issue with the 4 HS103 plugs I purchased about a month ago. Definitely seems to be an innate issue with the HS103. I'll follow this thread to see what the tp-link engineers can come up with!  

@greenjonathan08 glad to have you on board. For the moment the support engineer at TP-Link still think it's some isolated case, however based on my own research, it's definitely not.

I'll share this thread on a few large Facebook groups about home automation that I am member and hopefully we will have lot more feedbacks of HS103 (and other model) owners with the same issues.

Options
2020-11-22 04:59:09

@Brook is there a way that we can rollback to the previous firmware?

Options
2020-11-22 14:51:51

@SimonC. same here. HS-103 .sometime random click 3-4 time in an hour then good for a few days and click again. recurring problem for months on my side.

hope problem fixed soon

Options
2020-11-22 15:05:06 - last edited 2020-11-22 15:05:41

I've noticed on my router system logs that the two tp-link plugs that I have (kp400 and kp303) are both continually generating the "send ack ip" and "receive request ip" messages. No other devices on my network are doing that. And it coincides with the drop from the network. It then almost instantly rejoins the network. 

Options