HS103 and KP400 smart plugs "flashing" (resetting) for 1 second randomly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS103 and KP400 smart plugs "flashing" (resetting) for 1 second randomly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
46 Reply
Re:HS103 and KP400 smart plugs "flashing" (resetting) for 1 second randomly
2020-11-22 15:08:35

Chadab wrote

I've noticed on my router system logs that the two tp-link plugs that I have (kp400 and kp303) are both continually generating the "send ack ip" and "receive request ip" messages. No other devices on my network are doing that. And it coincides with the drop from the network. It then almost instantly rejoins the network. 

@Chadab IMO these logs on your router are expected, if a wireless device are rebooting this is what you should see in the system log of the router as this is related to a wireless device reconnect to the network. However that doesn't explain, as well, why the devices have rebooted unexpectedly! frown

Options
2020-11-22 15:15:11 - last edited 2020-11-22 15:15:52

Chadab wrote

@Brook is there a way that we can rollback to the previous firmware?

@Chadab and sorry, apparently I was misled between a recent firmware update on my KP400 and the problem. However it's finally not related to a FW update becase all of my HS103 that are all affected (4x) are running the same firmware version for more than 1 YEAR ago without any change.

IMO (professional opinion), the problem is more like a communication error between TP-Link Cloud infrastructure and the device itself. Because keep in mind that those ioT devices are "speaks" with the Cloud servers constantly for heartbeat monitoring, so for an unknown reason it looks like the communication with the TP-Link servers are making the device to crash and reboot.

I already excluded any environment related cause, such as a bad load, a bad wireless signal or a bad electrical circuit in the house, because I ran a few of my HS103 smart plugs with NO LOAD (nothing connected to it) during 1 day, and the device are STILL rebooting unexpectedly, so the crash/reboot isn't related to the load on the plug. I also moved some HS103 plugs on a completely different location, like 2 feet away from the wireless AP and also on a completely different electrical circuit and the issues are exactly the same. So with these extensive tests I excluded most of the environmental causes.

Options
2020-11-22 15:16:37

@SimonC. Thanks for the info. I suspected it was expected in reboots. I mainly wanted to provide all of the information I can for the issue in hopes that it will generate a response from the company.

Options
2020-11-22 15:25:45

Chadab wrote

@SimonC. Thanks for the info. I suspected it was expected in reboots. I mainly wanted to provide all of the information I can for the issue in hopes that it will generate a response from the company.

@Chadab good idea of course! I personally provided more than 3 pages long of in-depth testing I performed this week in my home IT labs (where I fix computers) to TP-Link by email. I performed several load test, position test, power monitoring, etc. and nothing I tested has prevented the plugs from rebooting unexpectedly, sometime as often as every 30-35 minutes and sometime 4 times for an entire day! Same for the HS103 and the KP400. This is insane. With 20 years of experience in IT, honestly I can't see what other tests I can do now, I think I covered all possibilities to exclude any environment causes. I also excluded any defective TP-Link, because I took some BRAND NEW HS103 I had at home (spare) and they are ALSO affected by the issue immediately upon initial configuration!!! surprise

Hopefully I'll get an answer from the guys at TP-Link soon with a fix! I hope so... crying

Options
2020-11-25 13:28:04 - last edited 2020-11-28 04:00:39

@Chadab @Saggyhaggis @greenjonathan08 @maxinike1 well it looks like we are done folks... at least for the moment! After spending myself like 4 entire days of extensive and professionally controlled tests in my home lab on all of my HS103 and KP400, then provided the result to TP-Link, the only solution provided in return of my tests is to replace all of my 4x HS103 and my single KP400 for brand new units and "see" if the issue still occur. IMO, it look like a desperate measure! 

But I am a good and understanding person, so let's try this with new units to exclude any "defect" from the case.

Options
2020-12-05 14:01:00

@SimonC. for me don't seem to be a reboot.have more that one of hs103 and returned the one acting random flash to get an exchange and the new one is doing the same thing.seem to be a problem for a certain generation or serie of product.

Options
2020-12-05 14:09:33

maxinike1 wrote

@SimonC. for me don't seem to be a reboot.have more that one of hs103 and returned the one acting random flash to get an exchange and the new one is doing the same thing.seem to be a problem for a certain generation or serie of product.

@maxinike1 well this is TP-Link technical support who call this issue a "random reboot issue". I don't find any proof myself that the device is actually rebooting or just doing some crazy things. However I noticed that the device disconnect and reconnect to the Wi-Fi, so it could be really a reboot.

I also first thought that it could be a "bad batch" or a "bad hardware generation" however I have the problem on all of my HS103 (4x) and also on my KP400 outdoor smart plugs. The. HS103 are 11 months old (end of Dec 2019) and the KP400 is 6 months old (June 2020), so they are completely different hardware revision/generation. Obviously all of my HS103 are same hardware revision who are HW 2.1.

I also confirmed without any doubt that this is NOT due to a bad firmware upgrade. Because I found that one of my HS103 were still on FW 1.1.2 (2019) and were also affected of the "reboot" (or whatever it is) issue while my three others HS103 are FW 1.1.3 (2020).

I performed a lot of diagnostic/testing myself in a controlled environment and provided all my results to TP-Link and they didn't provided any solution and or any theory, they just answered that the issue can't be reproduced in their test lab.

Options
2020-12-07 22:32:22 - last edited 2020-12-07 22:53:05

I have the exact same issue with HS103 and KP400. Update firmware upon installation, and clicking on and off every few minutes. Tried different plugs/location, factory reset devices, dedicated IP, changed network band, etc. Nothing works.

The HS103 was part of a 4-pack. I plugged in a fresh one, upon setting it up I closed the app without updating firmware, and it works fine. Interestingly, the updated/broken HS103 says Hardware Version 2.1 and Firmware 1.0.12. The working HS103 says Hardware Version 1.0 and Firmware Version 1.5.3. I don't understand how two plugs from the same 4-pack have different hardware versions. Maybe Kasa's firmware updating tool is itself broken?  I also have other HS103 that are still working HW 1.0 and FW 1.5.7

The KS400 is Hardware Version 2.0 and Firmware Version 1.0.5

Options
2020-12-08 12:36:26

FirmwareBroken wrote

I have the exact same issue with HS103 and KP400. Update firmware upon installation, and clicking on and off every few minutes. Tried different plugs/location, factory reset devices, dedicated IP, changed network band, etc. Nothing works.

The HS103 was part of a 4-pack. I plugged in a fresh one, upon setting it up I closed the app without updating firmware, and it works fine. Interestingly, the updated/broken HS103 says Hardware Version 2.1 and Firmware 1.0.12. The working HS103 says Hardware Version 1.0 and Firmware Version 1.5.3. I don't understand how two plugs from the same 4-pack have different hardware versions. Maybe Kasa's firmware updating tool is itself broken?  I also have other HS103 that are still working HW 1.0 and FW 1.5.7

The KS400 is Hardware Version 2.0 and Firmware Version 1.0.5

@FirmwareBroken I deciced to take the bull by the horns and order a pair of brand new HS103 from Amazon and give them a try. Then I'll report the result to TP-Link since they think that replacing my actual HS103 (HW 2.1) for a different HW revision may fix the issue (don't really make sense IMO) but we will immediately see the result. Since my HW 2.1 are just under 1 year old, I assume the units shipped today will be an updated HW revision... but we will see soon when I'll receive my order from Amazon.

Options
2020-12-08 14:37:00

@SimonC. Good job sticking with this, it must be frustrating!  I have the older HS100 & HS110 and neither seem to have the issue, so it's not a general problem.

Seems like it really can only be a few things - hardware, with the relay being allowed to turn off, or firmware/web message causing a quick internal relay reset.  It can't be a crash/restart because the plugs will then stay off, they don't return to the last state.

Looks like you've covered most everything in your testing, but I didn't see these mentioned so in case they help:

1) use MAC filtering so the plug can't connect to your router - see if it's IP/network related

2) use your firewall so it can't get access to the internet, to see whether it's something coming back from TP Link's servers.

If 1 fails it might put the focus on hardware/power.  If only 2 fails it's a rogue cloud command, block them from the internet might be a solution (but so much for remote access).

FWIW there was a problem a few years ago where the plugs would reboot only on some circuits in some users homes - I think it turned out to be related to a bad neutral - these were in Europe.

Good luck, keep at it!

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
Related Articles