Two HS100 Smart Plugs no longer working and clicking randomly.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-16 17:18:08 - last edited 2020-11-16 17:42:32
Model: HS100  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

I have 6 HS100 plugs set up in my house.  I bought another 2 HS100 V4.1 recently as I have had no issues with them in the past, until now.

I had problems setting up the new plugs as they did not flash as described in the app and it took several attempts to get it to work, requiring lightning reflexes to remove my finger from the reset button when the light flashed orange for a split second once after 20 seconds.

When these new plugs are switched on, they show up as local only on the KASA app and are greyed out as they are not available to use.  They also make a click sound every so often as if they are being turned on/off remotely.

What does 'local only' mean exactly?  operable by manual finger press?

Other than the addition of these plugs there have been no changes to my IT setup.  Whilst I suspect its a firmware issue, I am slightly puzzled how my other HS100's are working with no issues, unless the dodgy firmware is only being applied to newer models.

I would have long returned them, but I've binned the boxes and threw out the receipt.  Now they're completely useless.

I note that the below thread is reporting the same issues:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/236268?page=1

I've emailed support, but their response so far has been that there is no issue, when there clearly is!

Options
6 Reply
Re:Two HS100 Smart Plugs no longer working and clicking randomly.
2020-11-18 08:54:22

@Saggyhaggis 

Good day,

Nice to see you again.

And the FW1.1 would only stop the communication with the un-authorized third-party program, such as home assistant, and would not affect the normal use of Kasa.

So the current problem on the HS100 is not firmware related.

As for the local only, it means you are only able to control it on the Kasa APP when the smartphone is on the same wireless network of the smart plug;

For the current issue, we might need your help to check the following information:

1. What is the model number of the home router?
  2. When the smartphone is on the same network as the plug, can you turn on/ off the plug correctly? Or it would still show up as local only and gray out?
  3. What is the LED light status when it is local only?
  4. As for the random reboot issue, may I know what are the devices connected behind the HS100 V4?

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Waiting for your reply.

Options
2020-11-18 09:39:11

@Brook

Hi.

My home router is a TalkTalk wifi hub model number FAST 5364-3 T.8.

I am unable to turn on either of the two plugs remotely as they are greyed out in the app, then they briefly appear as local only.  If I try to turn them on or off they do sometimes respond after some time.

The wifi led is solid then there is a click and the wifi led begins to flash before going solid again.  After a while the wifi will turn off completely and then turn on and repeat the cycle.

Both plugs were connected to table lamps, before they became unresponsive.

I have other HS100 plugs in my house which are older v2 models which have no issues.

Hope this helps

Options
2020-11-18 11:29:56

@Saggyhaggis 

Thank you very much for your kind reply.

Did this issue exist before the firmware upgrade, or after?

How long have you had the 2*HS100?

When the smart phone and plugs are all connected to the home router, are you able to control it normally?

And Have you tried to reserve the static IP address for the 2*HS100?

Thanks a lot.

Options
2020-11-18 17:06:59

@Brook 

I bought the plugs as a twin pack from Argos a couple of months ago.

One plug was set up and stored in a cupboard and was working fine before it was put away.  I brought out this plug to replace the faulty plug, however I am pretty sure it exhibited the same problem without the firmware update which suggests that it is likely an issue at your end somehow.

I am unable to use the plugs as they are not available in the app and are greyed out.

I have not reserved static addresses as I have not had to do this in the past with my other plugs and it is doubtful that this would resolve the issue.

Options
2020-11-19 06:04:05

@Saggyhaggis 

Thank you very much for your kind reply.

We would like to help you replace the smart plugs and collect the sample back to run the further test.

Please have a check of your email box and reply with the required information.

Really sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks a lot for your understanding and support.

Options
2020-12-08 12:04:02

@Brook 

Hi,

The email from technical support said that I would receive replacement plugs within 2 working days after receiving my faulty plugs.  It has now been 2 weeks since I posted these to you and I still haven't received my new plugs.

I have emailed Sissy in your technical support on Friday and have had no response.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2404

Replies: 6