Password fault

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Password fault

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Password fault
Password fault
2021-01-03 20:29:37 - last edited 2021-03-19 01:53:40
Model: RE200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: You tell me

Overly complicated and disappointing. 

Managed to connect but the password on ext is different, found it in the app but its around 40 digits long!!!!!! 

Do I really need password protection in my own house? 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Password fault-Solution
2021-03-19 01:48:31 - last edited 2021-03-19 01:53:40

@Mfamily Hello, 

If you have used WPS button to pair RE and router, and router use default wireless settings,  there is small chance that Router's Wi-Fi password  become a Random Wi-Fi password and here is an FAQ to help explain why router password has changed. 

Why is my main router’s wireless password changed after using WPS to setup the Range Extender?

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/765/

For this situation, it is suggested to contact router support to change your Wi-Fi password first, rather than use default Wi-Fi password,  

Later reset RE and reinstall extender via Tether app, or Web page and everything should be fine.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Password fault
2021-01-05 07:39:29

@Schwoop 

Good day,

Did you use the WPS button to set up the RE200?

And what is the model number of the home router

Since there is no common standard for the WPS design between different brands, we used to get feedback that the RE would randomly generate a very long password when pairing with the router via WPS button.

So if possible, please try to reset the RE200 and set up via the Tether APP, such as:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/1373/

thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
Re:Password fault
2021-03-18 12:27:34

@Schwoop Thanks for your post, thanks to it I managed to finally connect to the extender. I was desperate, same issue as yours, once in the app, thanks to your post I saw that the PW was not the router one but a neverending one ;)

A bit of a pain, but I selected the option 'connect auto' so my laptop and mobile phone do not need the infinite PW anymore.

Anyone managed to change that one?

Options
Re:Password fault-Solution
2021-03-19 01:48:31 - last edited 2021-03-19 01:53:40

@Mfamily Hello, 

If you have used WPS button to pair RE and router, and router use default wireless settings,  there is small chance that Router's Wi-Fi password  become a Random Wi-Fi password and here is an FAQ to help explain why router password has changed. 

Why is my main router’s wireless password changed after using WPS to setup the Range Extender?

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/765/

For this situation, it is suggested to contact router support to change your Wi-Fi password first, rather than use default Wi-Fi password,  

Later reset RE and reinstall extender via Tether app, or Web page and everything should be fine.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 333

Replies: 3

Related Articles