Votes

Static IP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

Static IP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Static IP
Static IP
2021-05-13 11:54:31

The Ability to set a static IP address on all TAPO devices would be great.

reason: every time a TAPO devices loses conection to the wifi and reconnects it demands a new IP address from the DHCP server. So that particular address stays bound until the lease expires.

Not usually a problem with the TAPO plugs I use as they only lose and reconnect every few days. Recently though I have invested in a few of your TAPO bulbs and are used in conjuntion with the light switch (Just using the app to dim, change colour etc), so are turned on / off several times a day . As you can imagine the ip pool get used up fairly quickly.

So to sum it up: the ability to set a static IP address, or make it so the TAPO devices renew the lease instead of obtaining a new IP. (like every other device on my network) Would be great.

Options
13 Reply
Re:Static IP
2021-05-14 01:12:38

@Mick-1965 Where is your DHCP Serve running, on your router.?

Normally you can tell your DHCP Server always to assign the same IPv4 address to a network device according to the MAC Address.

Options
2021-05-14 08:39:37 - last edited 2021-05-14 08:41:34

@gboelter 

The DHCP server is running from my main server, which is running dhcp / routing software.

Over the many years I have been running this, and the many devices that have been connected. NONE of them exhibit this behavior only the TAPO devices. Some thing is not right with the way the tapo devices accept or renew their lease. Every other device, from various manufacture phones, Linux / windows based PC's ,android tablets etc etc etc all behave correctly and take the IP that they were originally given, only renewing the IP if the device has been off for a significant amount of time outside its lease period.

This option you are talking about does not exist as an option and assume is on by default as that is the behavior with all other devices.

Have you tried this yourself ? make a note of the bulbs IP while powered on ( you can get this from the app)  Power down your tapo bulb ( either un screw it from the bulb holder or turn off the light switch ) leave it for 10, then power it back up, is the IP the same ?

Having the option to assign a static IP would solve this.

Options
2021-05-15 03:53:00 - last edited 2021-05-15 03:54:46

have you tried this on ...?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/onvifdm/

Options
2021-05-15 10:04:20

@Mick-1965 Have done a little bit research. Looks for me like the C200 is set to DHCP, but only during the setup. If this is correct, then I can understand why instead of renewing the old IP your camera will ask for a new one. What do you think, is this possible ...?

And if so, that would be really crazy and stupid!!

Options
2021-05-15 10:35:53 - last edited 2021-05-15 10:37:11

@gboelter 

I Have not tried this with the TAPO camera's I'm only using the plugs and bulbs, but if the cameras are using the same DHCP software then I cant see why they would act any differently. Although probably not as noticeable as it wont be turned on and off like a light bulb and not using up the IP pool as much.

I have also done a little research looking through the DHCP logs to find out what is going on.

attached is a screen shot of my Phone (top) and a TAPO bulb  re acquiring an IP both from powered down.

It seems as the TAPO bulb is not sending all the relevant information when it sends out the DISCOVER message leading to the the DHCP server assigning a completely new address.

Options
2021-05-15 12:50:09

@Mick-1965 As I have told you already, my DHCP Server is a part of my router and there is an option " Always assign this network device the same IPv4 address ", this option is normally set to 'on'.

Now I have set it to 'off', and like in your case, my smart plugs for example will get a new ip every time they are newly connected ... surprise

Options
2021-05-15 13:25:37

@gboelter 

I don't normally have a problem with any other devices taking back an IP, just the TAPO devices.

Hopefully, TP-link staff will also be reading this and realize that they need to re-code the DHCP section of their firmware to adhere correctly to the DHCP protocols.

Overlooking this bug and hoping people have an option to correct it in their router is just lazy programming.

Give the option to add a static IP address is one way of sorting this out. Cant see why this would be a problem.

IDEA: On initial startup where it asks you to connect directly to the device for the password to the WIFI, have an "Advanced" button in order to set the relevant information for the static address, gateway, subnet etc etc.

Options
2021-05-16 01:26:08

Mick-1965 wrote

Not usually a problem with the TAPO plugs I use as they only lose and reconnect every few days ...

@Mick-1965 Sorry, I disagree. Yesterday I have changed the setup of my DHCP Server with the result, that a P105 Tapo Plug got a new (different) IP address. No problem for the plug itself but the App (Android) has still the old IP and it looks like there is no way to change this to the new IP then to remove the plug and do a fresh installation!

Options
2021-05-16 09:26:58

@gboelter 

Oh yes completely a problem the fact its not retaining its given IP, I meant with how often it disconnects it wont be a problem using up all the IP's from the pool, unlike the bulbs.

I have an IP pool range of between 192.168.0.50 - 200. Only two bulbs at the minute, a light bulb turned on and off 10-20 times a day. How fast will it use up the IP pool before the lease runs out them. meaning that eventually will no longer be able to connect.

I did plan on putting a few more of these bulbs, plugs and maybe even a camera or two around my home. I'll probably end up trying another brand, see how well they work. Or at least inquire first.

Options
2022-02-06 15:24:22
If consumers can not set static IPs for their Tapo C310 cameras, they are useless. It is crazy to assume that a reasonable consumer would prefer to add each camera's MAC to the DHCP router manually. Why can we set Static IPs for the Vigi range but not Tapo. Fix the static IP add ability urgently without delay.  
Options

Information

Helpful: 12

Views: 5046

Replies: 13

Voters 12

+ 8 Voters