KC115 was working. Now Cannot Connect

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-13 17:40:08 - last edited 2021-05-13 17:50:04
Model: KC115  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hey All,

I am have a KC115 which was working fine till last week. I had to re-route the power line so I had to turn it off and re-connect. After reconnecting, the Kasa Smart app says it cannot connect to the camera.

Problem:

Kasa App shows camera greyed out. Says it cannot connect.

Camera is Flashing the Green LED - which, according to the user manual, means - Connected to Wi-Fi.

Solutions I have tried so far

1. Re-connected the camera and restarted - Did not solve the problem

2. Removed camera from Casa App and tried to re-add it after Resetting the camera by pressing Reset button for 3 seconds. - Did not solve the problem

3. Reset the camera by pressing Reset button for 15 seconds - Did not solve the problem

Here are the steps i do

1. Reset the Camera for 15 seconds - LED blinks Orange and Green 

2. Open the Kasa App and add new camera - follows the steps and choose the camera type

3. App tries to switch WIFI and connect directly to the Kasa_Camera_XXXX wifi - Connection is succesful (camra LED is still blinking orange and green)

4. App asks me to switch to my Home Wifi network and shows available WIFI - I select my home WIFI and password is entered. Then tap Join

- some time after above steps, the camera LED will start flashing green and the app shows below screen.

I have checked my router and encryption is not set to WPA3. Moreover the camera was working just fine on the same router and nothing is changed. I have tried multiple devices and all of them have this problem

I have searched tp-link support and there is no solutions available. 

Any ideas to solve this problem will be much helpful.

Options
7 Reply
Re:KC115 was working. Now Cannot Connect
2021-05-18 01:55:21 - last edited 2021-05-18 01:56:33

@jjt_123 Good day, 

Thank you for your detailed and clear post ~ If the system LED is flashing green, that means the Kasa Cam is connected to your Wi-Fi network but not connected to the cloud server. And you could try some suggestions here : 

Step 1

Disable the firewall and Antivirus settings on the router and modem.

Step 2

Change the DNS server on the router to 8.8.8.8 for a try.

Step 3

Check the network diagram of the home network, make sure the Kasa Cam is not connected to a range extender.

Step 4

Check if there are any advanced settings on the router blocking the Kasa Cam, such as Access Control/ Parental control etc.

Step5

Please also make sure your Kasa app is up to date.

If still the same problem, may I know the model of your main router and your network topology,what is the model of your cell phone & its IOS/ Android version ,thank you. 

Options
2021-05-18 16:14:14

@Solla-topee  - Already attempted all the steps you mentioned even before creating this post. None of that helped.

I have talked to tp-link support online chat. The person helped me diagnosing the problem and found out that the Camera connects to wifi ONLY if my wifi router is manually set to channel 1 on 2.4G and also connect my phone to the 2.4G Wifi instead of 5G. 

I have tried to reset the camera multuple times by holding reset button for more than 30 seconds - just in the hopes that it will come out of channel 1 but it isnt doing it.

Online chat support is insisting on me contacting the router manufacurer - below quoted is an email from tp-link support

"We suggest to contact the manufacturer of your router to GUIDE you change those settings below.

You just need to follow the instruction below if you don't want to contact the support of your router.
1.For your case we suggest to change the DNS of the DHCP settings of your router. For the primary DNS, please input: 8.8.8.8, secondary DNS: 8.8.4.4. Once done please reconfigure again your camera.

2. Check if there are advance functions that is ENABLED on your router like parental control, firewall or QoS, if one of  functions is ENABLED please DISABLED them and give it a try to reconfigure.

If issue still persist, please kindly help us collect some information:
a.)Model number and brand of the router
b.)MAC address, hardware version, the firmware version of the camera
"

I am struggling to understand why this is needed- clearly the issue with the camera getting locked to one 2.4G channel. DNS was already set to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and still it didnt resolve the problem.  I do not have any firewall or anything like that enabled.

Also, this camera was working fine when it was set up initially without any of the setting tp-link is wanting to change now. It is not just one Kasa camera which is connecting to the router, there are other devices. So I dont want to mess anything with the router to make one device connect. 

Options
2021-05-24 03:39:54 - last edited 2021-05-24 03:45:27

@jjt_123 Hello, 

Glad to hear that camera was able to connect to router when router is on Channel 1.

KC115 is a single band camera and only supports 2.4Ghz frequency so it is normal it would not connect to 5Ghz Wi-Fi.

Normally 2.4Ghz channel 1-11 should be fine for camera,  rather than one particular channel. 

You could download a Wi-Fi analyzer app on your computer and see if other channels are too congested? 

If camera would not connect to router when router is on different 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi channel, may I know the model of your router, the network topology, aslo a photo of the Wi-Fi settings on your router. 

Options
2021-08-09 18:10:41

@jjt_123

This is Chuck, a CUSTOMER.

Can we please get a plain straight up answer on the connection problem with the cameras. Numerous people have had the same issue. Camera was working -- but now it does not. The smoke screen about our home router and WiFi is not helpful. Other Cameras are still working. So doing the deletion from our app and the hard reset on the camera reduces the possibilities of where the problem lies. It is the tp-link server or the tp-link kasa camera. There is a problem with one of these or their ability to talk to each other.  Please provide help without deflecting to our home network. Where is the problem with your cameras or your server? ... and can you fix it? I am tired of repeating the whole network and reset sequence to no avail. Thank you.

Options
2021-08-09 20:53:01

@ChuckP -

Issue is clearly because the camera switches to 2.4G and not 5G. I have tested with proof that using a Phone(old gen phone which doesnt have 5g wifi) connected to 2.4G wifi will solve the problem. That is the only way I could solve it. If you dont have an old phone lying around, simply turn the %G bands off on your router and retry. .

There is no helpful info from TP-link support for this matter other than things like reset your modem or ISP or Internet!!!

Options
2021-10-29 15:59:41
This is a constant headache for me now. The Camera just disconnects randomly and it wont connect back until it is reset. Happened once I was in a week long trip and the camera was not useful until I came back. Defeats the whole purpose of this thing.
Options
2021-11-03 12:39:17

@jjt_123 As it's been some time since you created the thread,   I might need to  double confirm some details  as this is quite important to help locate the issue, 

1. the model of router:

Does camera work fine before with the same router before the issue occurs: 

Does camera connect to router directly or through extender: 

2. the LED on camera when issue occurs: 

is it Flash Green or Red: 

3. Frequency of the issue

Do you need to reboot camera or router to recover the connection: 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1892

Replies: 7