KP200 Intermittent Connectivity Issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-25 04:29:16
Model: KP200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.9

I'm having weird connectivity issues with my KP200 devices. The devices are periodically unresponsive to network input and often take multiple seconds to respond to even the Kasa app on Android (going to the device page can take 20+ seconds to pull in all data on the device info page). Sometimes these devices just won't turn on/off or be detected as on the local network by the Kasa app due to this (or will take a long time to be detected). This also manifests in other areas such as if I attempt to sync the device to HomeAssistant as well, where the device is reported as unresponsive.

This seems to be specific to the KP200 plugs, I have some HS200 switches (hardware 3.0, firmware 1.1.4) that work flawlessly on the same network. Note this does not seem to be a signal strength issue as the plugs are closer to the router with more direct line of sight.

For example this is pinging the (good) HS200 device, note zero lost packets and consistent response time. I have two HS200s in different parts of the house that both work consistently like this:

ping 192.168.2.152 -n 200

Ping statistics for 192.168.2.152:
    Packets: Sent = 200, Received = 200, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 23ms, Average = 5ms

From a KP200 device.I have two of these that seem to have the same issue (one I left on Firmware 1.0.7 to test, but no difference between firmware versions). Note that this has periods of 5-10 seconds where nothing responds (25% packet loss!), and ping responses as high 3 seconds:

ping 192.168.2.102 -n 200

Ping statistics for 192.168.2.102:
    Packets: Sent = 200, Received = 150, Lost = 50 (25% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 3174ms, Average = 128ms

I've tried multiple things like resetting the KP200 plugs, moving the router, changing the router settings (disabling features like Wifi 6, multiband, changing encryption settings, and tweaking some of the more advanced settings). Nothing appears to fix the issue.

Options
1 Reply
Re:KP200 Intermittent Connectivity Issues
2021-05-30 13:42:06
Often when this (intermittent connection issues) starts happening power cycling the router and APs will sort it. If it does you'll probably need to schedule it regularly. The kasa local API uses UDP/multicast which doesn't flow very well through home routers - home routers often leak resources over time, dropping multicast registrations and UDP messages when they run short. If you're seeing a 3s response times in your network I'd look for a networking issue - the chances of an IoT device receiving a ping request and holding on to the response for 3 seconds seems unlikely. At best it's having trouble responding and keeps retrying.
AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 734

Replies: 1