Configure Deco using a PC

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-02 16:18:48
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.0 Build 20210511 Rel. 34580

So I purchased a Devo M3 and two M3W pack (Inside the box there is an M4R and 2 M3W)

I am trying to configure this thing using my PC.

I connected this to power just what you would do with any Wifi router. then wait until light start blinking CYAN (that is not blue!)

I can see an open Deco wifi in my windows wifi connections I connected to it which is open network and it gets connected, but gets stuck in optaining IP (identifying network)

and it doesn't go any further. at this point I set IP to 192.168.68.10 and gateway 192.168.68.1 (I'm not sure how TP came out with that weird IP) and connected.

now I'm trying to browse the expectedly management web page and nothing!

Up to now all weird and nothing!

Let me give you fisrt scenario:

I don't have mobile data. I'm trying to setup this thing to get access to internet but I need to download a Deco App to my mobile to setup this thing!

On the other hand I have a modem and I have data in it but that thing need to connect to a router to give me data and this router refuses to setup with just a web browser!

And already it is Egg was first or Chicken!

So Dear smart people of tp-Link, would you please teach me how to setup this thing in above scenario?

Now Second scenario:

I have setup the router using app on my phone and managed to enter my ISP password in a mobile app which I'm not sure where it might end up (SECURITY CONCERN!) and get connected to ISP.

Now I am trying to connect my PC to this wifi, still no IP! this thing refuses to give me an IP!

OK! the hell with it! I setup static IP and get connected, now I browse to web admin screen. can you imagine its password for login is the wifi password?!!!!

and when I login I don't have any management page! none of the things that I can do in mobile app are available in web admin. only two checkboxes and a firmware upgrade!

Either I'm missing something or this thing is not what I think it is!

Third issue.

Seems someone in web design department wasn't clear about some stuff.

There is a QR on the box of product, inside both manuals in the box on at least 20 pages.

It says scan this QR to download the app to start setting up.

And it opens marketing page for Deco M5, not even a single link to app in google or apple store!

I hope my scenarios were clear enough and hope you guys manage to fix these tiny issues soon

Options
3 Reply
Re:Configure Deco using a PC
2021-07-05 11:04:34

@B72 Hi,Currently, it does not support setup via web browser and the configuration needs to be done via Deco APP;
When we log into the web UI, the required password is the same password to log into the Deco APP;
Since Deco is mainly used to control via Deco APP, there is limited information displaying on the web interface;
As for the latest issue related to the QR code, would you please send me a picture of the QR code as well as the notification around the QR code?
Thank you very much.

Options
2021-07-05 12:52:00

Routers normally use web setup since it does not require download of resources that probably customer do not have access to them when they are purchasing it for the first time.

Consider my imaginary scenario which customer cannot access internet for many reasons (defect router, new installation, ...) and to access to internet they will need to install the router first (in case of my customer, new installation with PPoE connection, and they refused to download your app that is not small either over their mobile data which was 1GB quota per month)

If there was a web setup, they could just open the web interface and follow few simple setup steps to connect to internet.

I'm not saying Mobile app is not good, actually it is great specially when you are doing it everyday, but most customers only setup their router once in a lifetime.

The easy option to have both web and mobile app would be to include a few html files in firmware that are using the same API that mobile client is calling. I'm sure memory of the router is large enough to fit 100Kb pages.

One more thing that I discovered, Deco DHCP will not work if default gateway or dns server is not set. this is weird since both of these are optional and DHCP still should allocate an IP even though these information is not set and will not be sent to client.

Here is the picture, Unfortunately I don't have the manuals anymore. I gave them to customer, but it is redirecting to same link.

@TP-Link 

Options
2021-07-06 02:36:34

@B72 

Hi, I tested the picture just now on iPhone 12 and iPhone SE2020, and  it could redirect to the APP store to download the Deco APP;

May I know what is the model number of your smartphone and the operating system?

Options