Kasa HS103 no longer responds to broadcast messages

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-20 16:20:25
Model: HS103  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.3

I recently purchased another 4-pack of HS103 plugs, and they don't work the same as my older one does.

The new one doesn't respond to the UDP broadcast messages like the old ones do.

That make it a lot harder to 'discover' devices on my network.

Is this part of TP-Link's new direction of removing functionality?

Does anyone know of another way of 'discovering' devices?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Kasa HS103 no longer responds to broadcast messages
2021-11-21 15:56:01

@fhew If udp is broken and you're using an aftermarket app you'll need to assign them reserved IPs in your router and use that apps "discovery by IP" function (assuming it has it).

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2021-11-21 22:21:09

@MikeP 

Thank you, but your comment doesn't answer the question.  The UDP port 9999 still seems to exist, but either it is looking for a new message to respond to, or it no longer actually listens to the open port.  I was looking for either the new message format, or confirmation of a 'deaf' listener.  I.e. Has TP-Link removed or changed prior functionality?

Your suggestion of a fixed address doesn't address the need for discovery.

As for 'aftermarket app', I am using a trivial application I wrote that meets my needs, and not a heavy weight 'home automation' application, nor the Kasa Android/Cloud based tool.

Options
2021-11-22 06:58:53

@fhew You mentioned discovery was broken, are you saying you can't make direct UDP control calls to the devices either?  That would be more concerning - there are a few network problems that can break broadcast/discovery but direct calls generally get through ok. I don't work for tp link so I guess you'll have to wait for them to answer whether the entire API has been changed. 

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 687

Replies: 3

Related Articles