KP125 - energy meter plugs - power factor and volt-amps available ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-02 23:33:34
Model: KP115  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I'm using KP125 smartplugs as energy meters with HomeAssistant . The HA integration shows sensor for voltage, current and power in near real-time.

I live in a large house. Those sensors have allowed me to create some automations that sense when appliances are done and notify me, for example, my clothes washer, dryer, dishwasher, toaster, microwave oven, etc.

However, this doesn't work for everything, in particular my whole house audio system that uses multi-channel amplifiers. The power amps consume a lot of power, over 320W altogether, even when nothing is playing. So, I don't want to leave them on 24/7. I just want to turn them on manually, and have HA turn them off when not actually in use.

3 amps are downstairs and 2 amps upstairs. I have each set hooked up to a KP125 smartplug. My goal is to turn off the amps automatically after a given period of time when nothing is playing, and I'm using the KP125 to detect that condition.

The problem is that voltage from the utility varies throughout the day, roughly between +/- 2.5% from the data I collected. It's not a constant 120V. The wattage varies proportionally as a result, also. If I play audio in a single zone at moderate volume, the power consumption sometimes varies only slightly, within that 2.5%. I believe if I had access to additional data, such as power factor and/or volt-amps, I might be able to create an automation that works reliably to turn off my amps without misdetecting non-use. My P4460 Kill-a-watt meter shows the power factor and volt-amps, but it's not networked, and thus I can't create automations with it.

Would it be possible to add PF and VA measurements to the firmware ? Is this something the hardware measures ?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 362

Replies: 0