Deco X73-DSL Whole-home Mesh Wi-Fi 6 DSL Access System with VOIP and USB Sharing

Deco X73-DSL Whole-home Mesh Wi-Fi 6 DSL Access System with VOIP and USB Sharing

2022-04-18 07:44:08 - last edited 2022-10-28 07:02:23
Model: Deco X73-DSL  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Armed with a built-in VDSL/ADSL modem, WiFi 6, and TP-Link Mesh technology, Deco X73-DSL makes one step further. It supports VOIP Telephony which can meet the increasingly common VOIP needs. In addition, it is equipped with a USB 3.0 port and you can share your USB hard disk within or outside the Deco, or leave it as a backup connection by inserting a USB dongle.  Here we will help you unlock the first TP-Link High-Quality Telephony Superior Mesh WiFi.

• Optimized Hardware Design

Deco X73-DSL combines the feature of a DSL modem and a router, which enables multiples connection types:

1.DSL Access---the DSL port on Deco X73-DSL is connected.

2.Fiber/Cable Access---one of the 4* Ethernet ports on Deco X73-DSL is connected.

Deco X73-DSL Setup video: How to set up a VDSL Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi 6 System

• Supports VoIP Telephony

Telephony provides you with various features to enable you to make calls via the internet. You can add your telephone numbers, contacts, and telephony devices to your Deco, check incoming/outgoing/forwarding calls, make emergency calls, receive voice mails, block certain calls, and more. Follow the steps below:

How to use Telephony features(VOIP) on Deco X73-DSL?

Deco X73-DSL(EU)_V1_Telephony Feature Guide

Note: It doesn’t support DECT function so far.

•  USB sharing and 3G/4G backup

With an external USB drive plugged into the USB 3.0 port, you can access and share your files and media locally by FTP or Network Neighborhood. Built-in Media Server allows you to play music, watch videos and view photos from devices on your network-How to use USB Sharing feature on Deco X73-DSL? Other than that you can also plug a 3G/4G dongle into the USB port as a backup network-How to use 3G&4G Backup on Deco X73-DSL

• Super VDSL Technology

Deco X73-DSL(EU) 1.0 supports Super VDSL (VDSL2 Profile 35b), which is the next generation of VDSL technology with download speeds up to 350 Mbps.

For other DSL standards, please refer to Deco X73-DSL Specifications

• TP-Link HomeShield 

TP-Link's premium security services keep your home network safe with cutting-edge network and IoT protection. 

For more details about HomeShield, please click here

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q1.Would Deco X73-DSL work with other Deco Mesh models? 

A: Yes.

Q2. Did all the units in the package have so many ports?

A: No. Deco X73-DSL kit has 1-Pack(only Deco X73-DSL included), 2-Pack (1*Deco X73-DSL+1*Deco X73) and 3-Pack(1*Deco X73-DSL+2*Deco X73).

For Deco X73, it only has 2*Gigabit Ports per unit.

For more details, please refer to Package Contents.

Q3. When and where can I purchase Deco X73-DSL?

A: The delivery dates may vary in regions and it is suggested to keep attention to the pre-order dates on the local online stores.

Please comment below if you want to know something more about it.

Best regards.

Options
10 Reply
Re:Deco X73-DSL Whole-home Mesh Wi-Fi 6 DSL Access System with VOIP and USB Sharing
2022-04-20 13:38:42 - last edited 2022-06-09 08:27:49

@David-TP 

Spotted typo:

It should be USB drive, not USB driver. Spell checker won't flag that. 

Also, questions about this new functionality, that I can't find answered in "How to use USB sharing feature on Deco X73-DSL?" FAQ:

1. Will USB sharing work with Deco mesh in Access Point mode, or only in Router mode?

2. Will USB sharing work for USB drive connected to Satellite Deco, or will it only work for drive connected to Main Deco?

3. If I have USB hub to which multiple USB drives are connected, and I connect that hub to Deco USB port, how will Deco handle that?

Options
Re:Deco X73-DSL Whole-home Mesh Wi-Fi 6 DSL Access System with VOIP and USB Sharing
2022-04-21 02:05:36 - last edited 2022-06-09 08:27:49

@Alexandre. Ah, thank you very much and it has been corrected.

As for other questions, please refer to the information below:

1. Will USB sharing work with Deco mesh in Access Point mode, or only in Router mode?

It works under both Router and Access point modes and FTP via Internet under Access point mode might require additional port forwarding on the NAT router.

2. Will USB sharing work for USB drive connected to Satellite Deco, or will it only work for drive connected to Main Deco?

This is related to the second QA.

In the Deco X73-DSL kit, there is only one Deco X73-DSL with many ports(DSL&USB). For satellite Deco X73, there are only 2*Ethernet ports.

And It occurrs to me that Unless Deco X73 is set to be the main Deco and Deco X73-DSL is the satellite unit, then the USB sharing did not work in this case.

3. If I have USB hub to which multiple USB drives are connected, and I coNnect that hub to Deco USB port, how will Deco handle that?

It depends and so far, we haven't tested the compatibility with USB Hubs so there is a chance that Deco could not handle the USB Hub.

And we are also highly appreciated it if users could share with us the models of USB hubs they have tested working or not working well with Deco X73-DSL later.

Thank you again.

Best regards.

Options
2022-06-15 17:11:59 - last edited 2022-08-29 06:33:55

@David-TP 

Hi,

I have one of the X73-DSL and you can in fact use a USB hub or splitter to add multiple storage devices, as you can see in the below screenshot I have 2 drives attached and each drive gets assigned a new drive letter (Like what happens with a PC with extra drives added).

There is a good few issues with this router/modem though:

1. The X73-DSL only has a dual core processor  @ 1ghz where as most other routers have a quad core 1.5ghz processor however, the X73 non-DSL does have a quad core processor.

2. This suffers with the dropped/error packets where, every 12-24 hours the errors will jump from 0 to 50,000 within 30 minutes.  The only way to fix this is to reboot the router and the service will return to normal for another 12-24 hours.

Update:

this issue has now been resolved with a Beta firmware.

3. These use HomeShield in place of the existing HomeCare that came with M5 / M9 Decos.  HomeSheild puts alot of local services like multiple time limit parental controls behind a pay wall.  There is also big prompts all over the Deco app prompting to pay for this service at £5.99 a month.  The same service is offered via Aviva directly for £3.99 but doesn't work with the Deco service.

4. Smart Devices like Philips Hue or Kasa/Tapo do not connect with this device, each time the Smart Devices screen is accessed via the app There is a pop-up message showing 'Failed'.

Update:

Philips Hue / Kasa now connects successfully using Beta firmware 1.06.  Currently Tapo is not supported,  however I am advised that thos will be available in around 5 months time.

5. DNS cannot be added at WAN level only at LAN so any queries sent directly from the router will not be processed via the DNS of choice.

Options
2022-06-16 03:24:07

@BenGinders 

Nice to see you again.

As for the USB sharing via multiple USB drives, would you please share the model number of the USB hub you have used in case other users might have the same needs later?

Thank you in advancesmiley.

For the following issues with Deco X73-DSL, the number of the core processor will not limit the CPU performance since they use different chipsets.  I see the issues of the CPU overload/DSL downstream errors have been forwarded to the senior engineer. It is suggested to check the email for further assistance.

And the feature request to allow adjusting WAN DNS has been forwarded to the RD team before and it is still under evaluation. Do you have reasons why WAN DNS must be customized? can It be solved by a LAN DNS server?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

--------------------------

Deco X50-PoE is ready for your advice. If you are interested, please help us complete the following survey.

Deco X50-POE Survey

Options
2022-06-17 20:38:17

@David-TP 

I have used a cheap USB C to dual USB A by DooCoper (which I have had for a long time and is no longer available) along with a USB A to USB C converter. Below image shows the exact items.  This is not a permanent solution but purely for testing the possibility of multiple storage devices.

For the other points, yes they are currently being delt with by TP-Link employees however, I just thought I would add them here to allow potential new buyers make informed choices.

I will off coarse keep this thread updated with any progress/fixes.

On a more positive note I am currently on the 3rd Beta test firmware so the team are actively trying to resolve these initial issues.

For the DNS I like to ensure that all traffic is being filtered through the DNS of choice so I can block certain traffic being resolved by a DNS using DNS level filtering.  At the minute I have no visibility of the traffic being sent from the router either via HomeShield APIs or any other traffic

More importantly if the DNS of choice at LAN level fails or is bypassed then the ISP DNS will be used, which is not what I want to happen as this would skip around any filtering applied also any ISP DNS is prone to DNS spoofing/leaks.

Options
2022-07-08 03:44:22 - last edited 2022-07-08 03:45:05

@David-TP  Are these supposed to support home phone access via the FXS Ports for a Telstra NBN FTTN connection?

Options
2022-07-21 15:38:13

@David-TP .

thanks man, you explained it very well

Options
2022-07-26 08:44:59

AMU1 Hi Welcome to the community.

I see you commended on 205236, since your model is X73-DSL and Deco M9 does not support USB sharing, I will try to direct you to this post.

May I know what issue you have had on X73-DSL about the USB sharing?

And what is the model number of your USB drive?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-08-04 06:34:14 - last edited 2023-08-04 06:36:37

@David-TP ,

To provide an update, after over 1 year none of the new features which have been pushed to most other Deco devices have been added to the X73 and I still face several issues with latency on the internal (LAN) network, frequent dropouts and functionality errors.

If you are looking for a device that will just work and gets all the latest updates then this is not the device for you.

These are the bugs/ features I still have 1 year later:

- Network latency.

- Devices connecting to the Deco furthest away.

- App takes upto 5 attempts force closing each time to show the network.

- Network locks up and takes 15 minutes to recover and I am unable to access the router settings during this time.

- Unable to add Tapo smart devices

- Address reservation takes upto 5 attempts.

- Known device alert setup take upto 5 attempts to configure.

- Unable to set preferred Deco for static devices to connect to.

- Unable to select a proffered band for devices.

- X73 receives no new feature updates. 

Options
2023-08-04 13:20:12 - last edited 2023-08-04 13:21:15

Greetings to all,

I have been waiting for new software for a long time, but for some reason it is not given. My problem has always been the same. Here are the devices I have.

1--Deco X73-DSL V1

2--Deco M9 Plus V2 (2.Pack)

3--Deco X60 V2 (2.Pack)

The smart tv applications that I use on all devices do not work, for example: s sport tv, bein sport tv, iptv etc... I have no problems with other routers asus ax-86u, asus gt-6000, fritzbox 7590, although I pay this much for DECO products, I can neither get support nor benefit from devices.

Best Regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 4005

Replies: 10

Related Articles