Smart Light Switch to Smart Bulb

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-28 05:41:16

Hi

I want to use a smart WiFi wall switch to wirelessly control a smart WiFi bulb.

My old UK light switches do not have a neutral wire, just live (red) and line (brown).

So in this scenario both the switch and the bulb need to be permanently powered. So I was thinking that instead of buying a switch that's designed to work without a neutral wire (which would cut power to the bulb when off), I could use a switch that requires a neutral wire and connect the live supply (red) to the live terminal on the switch and the line wire (brown) to the neutral terminal.

This would power the switch and bulb in series. The line terminal on the switch would not be required as the bulb would be controlled via the Smartlife app with 4 automations.

1: If switch on then turn bulb on. 2: If switch off then turn bulb off. 3: If bulb on then turn switch on. 4: If bulb off then turn switch off.

The thing I'm not sure about is using the original line (brown) wire as a neutral wire.

So my question is... Will this work?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 236

Replies: 0

Related Articles