KP115 Smart Plug suddenly constant clicking on and off see video inside

KP115 Smart Plug suddenly constant clicking on and off see video inside

42 Reply
Re:KP115 Smart Plug suddenly constant clicking on and off see video inside
2024-04-30 03:37:26
Legendary! I had one of my KP115 start doing this and found this post. Popped down to the local Jaycar Electronic store grab a couple of capacitors (10VDC). I found with my countries version (Australia) I was able to de-solder and solder the new cap in with out de-soldering the Pins 1 and 2. Plugged it back in and it booted up and behaved as normal. 50cent part instead of a $30 replacement!
Options
2024-04-30 09:19:36 - last edited 2024-04-30 09:19:57

That's fine if you are happy to use a device which can potentaily fail without warning, rapidly switch the mains supply to your devices on and off when it does. If your devices can cope with that then great. I won't take that sort of risk powering far more expensive critcal eqipment though and would rather swap them out for something that fails safe. 30 bucks is a small price to pay to protect severs worth a grand or more. 

Options
2024-05-01 13:18:36

@Lethalas  beware using cheap capacitors,  these are obviously stressed components. I didn't have 470u but had some 100u solid electrolyte automobile grade. High ripple current and will not dry out. 

Options
2024-05-04 23:41:31

Just had another plug failure on a plug feeding my NVR. Same clicking failure mode ant this is now 3 out of 5 units failed. Obviously a design flaw and totally unacceptable that these products are still being sold! 

Options
2024-05-05 10:12:43
They are not of a satisfactory quality and the fact that TP link are not even commenting does not bode well. I will not buy any more of these devices, its simply not worth it. No customer should have to retrofit components to a device to make it work reliably either, its not acceptable.
Options
2024-07-27 19:18:02

Had my first KP105 die due to the symptoms described in this thread today. Fortunately it was only powering LED lights.

I have four more, powering more expensive lights, my TV and my computers. I have Tuya replacements on order and they're all going in the bin.

I'm not fannying about replacing caps, it's just not worth the risk running these any more.

I still have a fleet of HS100s still going strong and I wish they still made them. I've lost all trust in TP Link now. It's completely unacceptable that these devices do not fail safe.

Options
2024-08-06 15:56:14

@thewatcher I have 2 failures. I had found the fault before I came across this website, but ended up destroying PCB and just putting it in the bin. out of 5, I have had, I have 2 which have died. Not to mention that I had couple plugs which had stuck relay as it would not power off the device.

It is worth mentioning my first rapid clicking KP115 failure, when I discovered it, it was still powering the device but would click all the time, so I removed it from the socket and connected it back and the device would no longer power up. Odd thing was that, if I was to shake it, it sounded like something loose in the enclosure, prompting me to dismantle it and peek what is inside. I found a blob of what looked like solder, later I realized that it was the guts (molten aluminium foil) of the blown capacitor as others have found out. So this device beyond just the point would not work, but it likely to cause a short in right circumstances.

I might have missed details here, has anyone confirmed if TP-Link Tapo have same PCB and failures.

I am looking for something to replace my plugs, I am not automating anything in my home environment, but need means to list power usage over given time range. Right now I have a pyton script that checks for consumption and sends me an email with total kWh and calculates cost based on current electricity tarrif.

I just need this functionality, aka some means of API to interact witht he device over IP.

Options
2024-08-12 16:20:10

First post on the forum. 

bought 6 TP-Link 115's several years ago. All have now sailed in quick succession (literally within weeks of each other). 

One failed on left a 2 kW heater running for an entire weekend without me noticing - thankfully didn't burn the house down whilst I was away. All of the others did the relay rapid click and are now in the bin. 
I'm sure by this point in the thread everybody knows to avoid these plugs but just to add my tail of woe to the masses!

Options
3 weeks ago

@thewatcher I have just had the same thing happen to me. The product connected was a Dual Boiler coffee machine worth around £2500. I am lucky it hasnt caused any permenant damage to the product. It started failing incrimentally and unknocingly it was the TP link device I was about to send the coffee machine off for a service to try and understand what the issue was as the machine, as it had been acting strangly. It wasnt until today, that I heard the machine blinking as the TP Link device had properly failed. Be careful!

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

Just FYI, another one died, same issue, so I have 3 out of 5 dead

Options

Tags

fault
Related Articles