Smart Bulbs/Devices with Deco Mesh WiFi (frequency)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-13 10:31:42 - last edited 2023-02-14 01:02:27
Model: Tapo L610  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

My question is at the bottom if you do not want the background...

This is actually for the Tapo L610  V1, Firmware 1.0.3 Build 221129 Rel. 192631, but also a number of other smart devices from Tapo and a few from Kasa. The Tapo L610 for some reason does not show up in the Models section, but is the prime offender of the issue.

I have good WiFi coverage in my house, using a 5-node Linksys Velop mesh network putting out a single intelligently manged WiFi network (i.e. 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz showing as 1 WiFi). There are still a few corners where I want stronger signal, so I plan on expanding it slightly with a few extra nodes, or possibly doing so while changing to a more modern Mesh system, of which I am seriously considering something from the Deco range.

We have recently started purchasing smart plugs and bulbs. We have bought:

3x Kasa KP115 plugs

1x Kasa KL110 bulb

1x Tapo C200 camera

2x Tapo TC70 camera

4x Tapo L630 bulbs

12x Tapo P110 plugs (not yet delivered)

The issue we are running into is that the connection seems a bit spotty on some of the devices. Bulbs, for example, can sometimes take 20-30 seconds to respond to an instruction, and occasionally do not respond at all. The plugs occasionally stop reporting energy usage and then start showing it again, and also have delayed response to on/off instructions.

After a lot of experimenting, I have worked out that some of it has to do with signal in worst corners of the house, but in the areas with very strong signal I suspect it has to do with smart devices not playing well with 5Ghz WiFi frequency. To test, I split 2.4 and 5Ghz into separate WiFi, connected them to the 2.4Ghz and the devices seemed to work perfectly. When I bonded them together into a single WiFi again, the problems returned.

I refuse to split the WiFi permanently. It is a layer of complication that should not be necessary and I'd rather live without the smart devices than split the network.

Now to my question: If I buy a Deco Mesh WiFi system, and run it outputting a single WiFi network (i.e. NOT having 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz showing separately), will it play well with the various TP-Link smart devices? Has TP-Link provided native compatibility between the two? Or is this issue going to plague me as long as the WiFi frequencies are not separated?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Smart Bulbs/Devices with Deco Mesh WiFi (frequency)
2023-02-15 10:08:51

@w00t57 

Thank you for sharing the details of your smart home network and raising the inquiry. 

Due to the limitation of the smart home product itself (2.4g only, not supporting some latest technology, such as mesh wifi, fast roaming, etc), the connection problem is inevitable if they are connecting to a Mesh network or a normal WiFi (2.4G&5G sharing same SSID). 

A new feature of Deco system, the IoT network is now available on some models. It provides a separate network for IOT devices, simplifying the connection of smart home devices with customizable WiFi settings ( SSID, password, WiFi bands, encryption settings, etc). By isolating IOT devices from the main network devices, you can avoid interference between main network devices and IOT devices, and provide automation efficiency. 

Refer here for more details: What is an IoT Network?

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2023-02-21 19:18:59 - last edited 2023-02-21 19:25:33

@Wayne-TP Hi Wayne,

I had a look at that link, and I see the IoT network option. That makes sense. I do have a followup question though...

The link lists 3 products that have the option of creating the special IoT WiFi network. One of them is the Deco X55. That is a dual-band system. If I turn on the IoT feature and put out the special 2.4ghz WiFi for those devices, will I still have a main WiFi network up that combines 2.4ghz and 5ghz for everything else? In effect, it would have a WiFi network using 2.4ghz, and another network combining 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

Also, are the X55, X50 and XE200 the only Deco units that have this feature? If there are more, is there a comprehensive list somewhere?

Options
2023-02-23 03:29:22

@w00t57 

You can consider the IOT network as another guest network, the main network will still have its own network settings.

Note: IOT network cannot use the same SSID as the main network. 

As for the availability on other Deco models, please keep an eye on the official website or that community article. This feature may be supported on other models through firmware updates in the future, but we don't have exact information yet.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 918

Replies: 3