I can't access my VPN from external network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-12 15:37:45 - last edited 2023-06-14 07:10:00
Tags: #VPN
Model: Archer C1200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20210727

I am experimenting with the VPN option on my router.

I managed to connect via OpenVPN Connect on my Android phone but only when i was connected to the wifi.

I am unable to connect via mobile data. 

Is it in any way related to the firewall? I am unsure about this but when i did a bit of searching, the firewall issue came up but still..

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:I can't access my VPN from external network-Solution
2023-06-12 17:26:18 - last edited 2023-06-14 07:10:00

@xy0o0 

Hi,

Your Internet IP address of 100.82._._ indicates that your Internet Service Provider has placed a so-called "Carrier-grade NAT" (CGNAT) between your broadband connection and the actual Internet.

Due to the limitations of IPv4 (Internet Protocol version 4) it is not possible to provide everybody on earth with their very own "public" IPv4 address and the current workaround to the problem is CGNAT, which allows Internet Service Providers to share a few public IPv4 addresses between a large amount of users. (similar to you using the Archer C1200 to share one Internet connection with everybody at your home)

However, this prevents users from being able to access their home network via the Internet.

A solution to the problem can only be provided by your Internet Service Provider. Just contact them and tell them you'd like to be able to access your home network from the Internet.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:I can't access my VPN from external network-Solution
2023-06-12 17:26:18 - last edited 2023-06-14 07:10:00

@xy0o0 

Hi,

Your Internet IP address of 100.82._._ indicates that your Internet Service Provider has placed a so-called "Carrier-grade NAT" (CGNAT) between your broadband connection and the actual Internet.

Due to the limitations of IPv4 (Internet Protocol version 4) it is not possible to provide everybody on earth with their very own "public" IPv4 address and the current workaround to the problem is CGNAT, which allows Internet Service Providers to share a few public IPv4 addresses between a large amount of users. (similar to you using the Archer C1200 to share one Internet connection with everybody at your home)

However, this prevents users from being able to access their home network via the Internet.

A solution to the problem can only be provided by your Internet Service Provider. Just contact them and tell them you'd like to be able to access your home network from the Internet.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:I can't access my VPN from external network
2023-06-14 07:09:45

@woozle 

I have contacted the ISP regarding this issue and found out that they had stopped providing the public IP for subscription plans similar to mine a few years back.

The only way to solve this is to upgrade my current plan.

Thanks for the info btw!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 353

Replies: 2

Tags

Related Articles