Deco m9 Plus solid red light

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-20 17:38:01 - last edited 2023-08-20 17:43:05
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.6 Build 20211018 Rel. 35617

I purchased the 3 unit Deco M9 Plus system in December 2020 and it has been awesome, until recently when it has started failing, with all three units showing a solid red light.

My network uses a BT Smart Hub as a modem (only), connected to the main Deco unit via an ethernet cable.  The 2nd ethernet port is cabled to a wall socket connected to a 16 port switch, which then serves the whole house with a gigabit network. The two other Deco units are also wired to wall sockets, serviced by the 16 port switch, so the mesh setup has a wired gigabit backhaul.  When working correctly, the Deco app shows the following:

The Operation Mode is Wi-Fi Router, so the Decos are issuing IP addresses to connected devices, while the BT Smart Hub simply provides internet access only.

My broadband service provider is BT and I get a reasonable 76mps download speed, which is adequate for most things, including working from home.

A couple of weeks ago I lost internet access and the Deco App showed the internet connection had been lost.  All three Deco units were showing a solid red light.  Checking the BT Smart Hub, it still showed the blue light, indicating it still had an internet connection.  I connected a laptop directly to the BT Smart Hub and it worked fine i.e. internet access was available!  After trying to reboot the deco units and the BT Smart Hub and switch numerous times, eventually, the Deco app reported the internet was available, however the two other deco units (Kitchen and Office) were shown as connected by wifi and some devices on the network, my main desktop PC included, still couldn't get a network connection.  After even more hassle and time wasting, it eventually came back up and everything looked okay.  It wasted about an hour of my day!  When the issue initially occurred, the Deco app reported the following:

The other day, the same thing happened - no internet connection reported by the Deco app, solid red lights on all deco units, but the BT Smart Hub still showed it had an internet connection!  Rebooting the Deco units didn't fix the issue, so after Googling and finding this forum post, which appears to be my exact issue, I turned off the main Deco unit (Loft), rebooted the BT Smart Modem and waited until it had an internet connection (blue light displayed), then turned back on the main Deco unit, which then showed a green light.  The other two Deco units were still showing red lights and clearly weren't going to "fix" themselves, so I rebooted each one in turn by disconnecting it from the power and waiting for the green light.  Eventually, all Deco units were showing green, with a wired backhaul.  1 hour later, the same thing happened again while watching Netflix!!!!  I couldn't be bothered, so went to bed and sorted it in the morning.

Having got it up and working again I was "lucky" to have a full Friday without issues and contacted BT who sent an Openreach engineer out on Saturday.  They tested the internect connection from the BT master socket and everything was rock solid!  The history showed I had good, consistent download speeds and there were no signs of issues.  Interestingly, when they plugged the BT Smart Hub back into the BT Master Socket, once the modem had got the internet connection again, everything worked as normal i.e. I didn't have to intervene to reboot the Deco units!

So, the problems I'm encountering are being caused by either the BT Smart Modem or the Deco units.  I will be asking BT to supply the new Digital Voice version of the BT Smart Hub as we will soon be switching over to digit so hopefully they won't object to providing this newer hub a little earlier.  I don't believe the BT Smart Modem is the issue, but this will rule it out completely.

It has now been nearly 3 days since the last issue occurred, but having had 3 events like this in the last 2 weeks, I no longer have any faith in the Deco units and as I'm an IT contractor working from home, I can't afford to be wasting time "fixing" whatever issue this is, if it occurs during the day.

TP-Link Support, have you any idea what might have started causing this issue with the Deco units, given they have worked flawlessly for 2 years and 8 months?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco m9 Plus solid red light
2023-08-21 02:26:17

@Milleniumaire 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Have you ever tried to set BT SmartHub as the main router(but with Wi-Fi disabled), then Deco M9 plus into an access point to see whether it helped improve the stability?

How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode

It is also suggested to refer to the following suggestions:

1. please change a different Deco as the main Deco.

How to Set up the Satellite Deco or a new Deco to be the Main Deco

2. update Deco M9 Plus from 1.5.6 to the latest 1.6.1.

Deco M9 Plus(EU)_V2.2_1.6.1 Build 20230403

But if the disconnection issue continued, there might be a hardware issue. Please contact the local technical support for warranty service:

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/replacement-warranty/

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-08-21 09:20:21

@David-TP Thanks for responding to my post.

When I was gathering info for the post, I did notice the firmware version was out of date so have updated to the latest version.  Obviously, given the Deco units have been working perfectly for 2 years and 8 months, I don't believe the firmware is the cause of the issue, but it's always good to be on the latest version, providing that doesn't break anything wink

I prefer the Deco to assign IP addresses so I'm reluctant to change the config to Access Point and for the BT Smart Hub to act as the router.  Out of interest, why do you think that would "improve" the situation?

If the issue occurs again I will switch the Deco's around and use a different one as the Main Deco as you suggest.

Fingers crossed I haven't had another issue since Friday 18th am, so that's 3 full days now.

Regards.

Paul.

Options
2023-08-28 11:35:07 - last edited 2023-08-28 11:38:15

It's been just over a week since the last lot of issues I had with my home network/internect connection.  This morning we lost power to our home for a couple of seconds.  This was caused by a power supply issue at the national grid, so nothing we had control over.  Power was restored almost immediately and everything in the house was working normally except the TP-Link Deco units, which were all showing a solid red light.  Even the BT Smart Hub had powered back up and re-connected to the internet.

A quick Google shows this isn't a new issue and power outages seem to effect the Deco units resulting in the sold red light.

So, a question to TP-Link support:  Why, like the BT Smart Hub, didn't my Deco units startup and continue working after the very short power outage?

This is not the first time we have lost power at home and prior to the issues I've had over the last couple of weeks I have NEVER had to get involved in manually sorting them out.  This suggests something has changed; either the hardware is failing in the units or the firmware has changed and is no longer working properly!

It has taken me ALL MORNING to get these thinks back up and working - that's a complete waste of half a day of my Bank Holiday and I have better things to be doing.

No amount of power cylcing was fixing the issue today - I tried at least 4 times.  At one point they seemed to be back up and working, then 5 minutes later they reported the internet connection had been lost again and all units were showing a solid red light.

I know the BT Smart Hub had an internet connection as I was able to connect directly to it using two different PC's and the internet was working perfectly.  The issues I've been having are therefore specific to the 3 M9 Plus Deco units.

In the end I decided to factory reset each unit and create the network again, switching two of the units so that the Main Deco was a different unit.  This took some time to do, but having added the main deco unit and connected it to the BT Smart Hub, I then added each of the other Deco units, one at a time and everything is now working again.  For how long, who knows!  I no longer have any faith these units will work faultlessly like they have for many years and feel it is just a matter of time before I'm wasting my time trying to get them up and running again.

Although I've wasted half of my Bank Holiday, had this happened on a work day, I would have lost half a day's consultancy rate, which is more than the units cost!

So, I will ask TP-Link support again, in case they didn't see the question above:

Why didn't my Deco units startup and continue working after the very short power outage? 

Also, why are they now failing regularly and requiring manual intervention to resolve?  How do I go about arranging for replacement units under the 3 year warranty, which will expire in December?

Options
2023-08-28 15:39:33 - last edited 2023-08-28 16:57:26

Got back home this afternoon only to find the Decos are all showing solid red lights again.  Rebooted and they worked for 5 minutes before sold red lights.

I've had enough of this!  TP-Link really need to explain why this happens to Decos as Googling suggests there are many people having similar issues.  It wouldn't surprise me to learn the hardware had simply failed given they are so close to being out of warranty.

They have been brilliant for 2 years and 8 months, not requiring any intervention, but that has now changed and they simply aren't working any longer.  Why did they work okay for the last week, since the previous issue I had with them and yet today I can't get them to work any longer?  Why has the brief power cut caused this issue?  Why didn't a factory reset resolve any issues caused by the power cut?

Plugged in my old Netgear router and it was up and working within 30 seconds.  The internet connection seems to be stable....  The only reason I replaced the Netgear router was due to the lack of full wifi coverage of my home, plus the need to reboot them on a regular basis due to wifi issues.  The hard wired 1gb network always seemed to be okay.

The Deco units are going back under warranty as they are clearly no longer fit for purpose.

What a waste of my time this has been!

Options
2023-09-12 14:17:11

Received a replacement 3 unit Deco M9 Plus system from TP-Link today and configured it without issue in exactly the same way as my previous Deco system.

So far so good, all units working and no internet issues.

Since sending off my previous "broken" Deco units under warranty to TP-Link I was running my network through my two old Netgear routers.  Over the 2 weeks of use I had to reboot the main Netgear router 3 times as "some" devices (not all) suddenly lost internet.  The reboot usually took about a minute (turn off and back on) and everything started working again, so while inconvenient when it happened, it wasn't that much of an issue.  This is how I remember this old equipment working and was the reason I upgraded it to the TP-Link Deco mesh hardware nearly 3 years ago.

At no point was it necessary to reboot the BT Smart Hub, which seems to confirm this isn't loosing the internet connection.

Pleased to be back on the Deco system as the wifi range it much better.

Now I need to re-configure my Tapo smart plugs to connect to the "new" network even though it has the same name as I always use the same SSID, regardless of the hardware being used.

Fingers crossed it continues to work okay, but time will tell......

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 857

Replies: 5

Related Articles