L530 - Has there been a recent firmware upgrade, and how to downgrade

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-25 07:32:03 - last edited 2023-08-25 07:48:53
Model: Tapo L530B  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 230721 Rel 224802

hi - has there been a firmware upgrade on the L530? and how can i downgrade

I have had these for about a year now and they have been fine. went to bed Wed (23rd aug), kicked off nighttime routine in Home Assistant (set lights to 1%, turn them off, switch lugs off, etc, etc). All fine.

Woke up Thu morning, all my HA routines fail. morning routine, motion lights, ... all at the first attempt to do anything wih one of he 4 L530s i have. 

they work fine in Tapo App. Alexa can still control them, but Home Assistant - no. Integration finals on all 4 L530. all fine on P100 plugs, HL630 spots, L920 Strips P110 Plugs - only fails on L530s

tried running the PyP100 script - fails. works fine on any other model, just fails on L530s

so -

1/ firmware looks recent (1 month old - assuming 230721 is the date it was created).

2/ No updates on HA side ( i have tried reverting to a backup when everything was fine, still he same - so not an HA issue

3/ Other tapo bulbs, plugs, etc work, so not a user-id or password issue

4/ Tapo App & Alexa work fine  - so mot a physical issue with bulb

5/ deleting the bulb (from HA, from Alexa, from Tapo) and re-adding do not resolve

6/ Soft & hard reset do not resolve

7/ I have disabled auto firmware update on all tapo devices before they stop working :) 

All i can think is there is something in firmware which is stopping this. i have over 50 complex integration sin HA, so not rewriting those to Alexa (which has nowhere near capabilities i need.

is it possible to downgrade firmware to try and resolve this/ I have significant health issues, so need these integrations to work pretty urgently. If this cannot ne done i need to replace these bulbs with something which works

thanks

Options
5 Reply
Re:L530 - Has there been a recent firmware upgrade, and how to downgrade
2023-08-25 19:59:06

@Jon-C 

Same issue today: 4 of my 6 bulbs were updated overnight, and in doing so have broken their link to home assistant.

It seems tp-link has responded to a recent breach on these bulbs.

https://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/news/tplink-smart-bulb-wifi-passwords/

I rather hope they will fix this promptly moving forward rather than taking a nuke approach and just disabling the API.

It's a shame to see this as I rather liked tp link kit owning both there bulbs and cameras around my house. It would be a shame to move away from there eco system however if this isn't fixed in the next week or so ill be left with no other option than some e-waste and a bill for some new bulbs.

Options
2023-08-26 05:21:01

@Ste94 

Thanks for the info. 

It's a major ball-ache for me, pretty much every integration involves lights, and i have L530s in all rooms but the kitchen (GU10 L630s). Now every integration which involves one of L530s bombs out on turning the light on /off/dimmer /brighter/colour. 

I have Parkinson's. sometimes switching a light on with a physical switch ends up looking like I'm sending a message in morse code 🤣. I've invested a huge amount of time in setting up automations to make my life easier and less painful, and in one quick firmware update TP Link have rendered lots of them useless! 

Yes, i can still ask Al..xa, or use a very inconvenient (for me) app, but i got these lights because a) they are abundantly available b) good value c) a range from one company d) worked with Home Assistant

Now i understand that HA support is not official, not an advertised or supported feature. I understand security (I've worked in IT for over 30 years with major financial, insurance, telco, etc organisations around the world). But blanket removal of an the integration without warning, notification, or (so far) acknowledgement? 

I hope tp link fix this soon, as per your other post 

Options
2023-08-27 13:00:04

@Jon-C I also ran into a problem on homebridge.

Options
2023-08-28 18:47:49

@ronnakit 

See JM01s post here https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/620270?replyId=1245450. Fix for home assistant. Hopefully one for home bridge too

Options
2023-08-29 02:11:53

@Jon-C 

Anyone know how or where to get the latest API document? Did they actually ban the API or just update it?

Options

Information

Helpful: 8

Views: 1226

Replies: 5

Related Articles