Tapo L530E smart RGB bulb buzzing noise

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-16 08:42:59
Model: Tapo L530E  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 230721 Rel.224802

I just received two packs of Tapo L530E smart bulbs. I have only opened one pack and tested the two bulbs. I'm quite pleased by this product but both of the bulbs I have tested make an audible buzzing noise that varies with brigthness and color. Specifically, the noise gets louder if I increase the brightness, and colors containing red make a louder buzz than other colors, although all colors buzz anyway. I wanted to use these bulbs in my music production studio, but with the buzzing noise they are not adequate because it is a completely silent room (the computer is in the server room nextdoor). I was wondering if this is something TP-Link could correct via a firmware update? Thanks!

Options
15 Reply
Re:Tapo L530E smart RGB bulb buzzing noise
2023-09-19 02:18:57 - last edited 2023-09-19 02:30:18

@RandyAndy 

Can you share a video here? Perhaps you can try to switch a different lamp base for testing.

You may try to install a decibel testing app and measuring the sound at various distances to determine its volume.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2023-09-19 20:50:06

@Wayne-TP 

I have tested on different lamps and outlets, the bulbs always buzz regardless. It sounds like inductor coil whine in the switched mode power supply.

I tried taking a video but my phone's built-in microphone is not very good. Instead, I used an audio spectrum analizer app which shows the frequaencies at which the buzzing happens. I include links to screen photos (screen capture not possible because the buttons make noise) but they are not very good becasue my phone camera had trouble focusing on the reflective surface of the display:

Smart bulb 1, highest brightness setting: Buzzing at 996 Hz (photo)

Smart bulb 1, lowest brightness setting: Loud buzzing at 19312 Hz (maybe my cat can hear this, I can't 😀) (photo)

Smart bulb 2, highest brightness setting: Buzzing at 902 Hz (photo)

Smart bulb 2, lowest brightness setting: No buzzing at any frequency (good)

Becasue the buzzing happens at slightly different frequencies, it looks like it is a hardware problem and that different components resonate at different frequencies due to tolerances. That said, driving the LEDs differently (for example at a higher frequency outside the human hearing frequency range) could solve the problem, but if this is somthing that could be addressed in firmware.

Options
2023-09-21 21:55:00

@RandyAndy Quick update, I just opened the other pack of two bulbs. The bulbs from this pack are definitely much quieter. Both make some buzzing noise but one of them is so faint I have to put it right next to my ear to hear it and the spectrum analyzer app cannot detect it. The other is a little bit louder but still much better than the previous two, in this case the spectrum analyzer app can detect the buzzing and it happens at a different frequency than the previous two bulbs. From these findings it is clear to me that this is a component tolerance problem. Assuming the noise is caused by an inductor, the inductor may not be properly potted, or the potting is not consistent, that's why different inductors can buzz at different frequencies.

I'm thinking I might just buy another couple of packs, select the quietest bulbs and return the rest.

I'd like to point out that my father has two Wiz smart RGB bulbs we tested yesterday and they are completely buzz-free.

Options
2023-09-22 09:59:03

@兰迪安迪 

Upon checking, for the Tapo L530 V2, it is considered normal for the sound to be below 23 decibels within a distance of 1 centimeter.  Since have additional devices of the same model and they don't have the same problem, it is possibly a hardware malfunction of these two bulbs.

It would be helpful if you could try using a different testing software. a decibel testing App to verify that. Or, you may go ahead and contact the retailer or the local TP-Link support to proceed with the warranty.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2023-09-22 10:47:05 - last edited 2023-09-22 10:48:38

@Wayne-TP I could go the warranty route but it could be time-consuming so, insetad, I will return-buy-return-buy-... until I get 4 smart bulbs that are acceptably quiet. I've already done my part by taking the time to perform tests and report the problem to TP-Link here on the forum, and by saying that the bulbs I have tried from Wiz don't buzz. Hopefully TP-Link will fix this in future revisions of the product.

I have tested using a hardware decibel meter, you can see a video of my testa video of my test. I cannot guarantee the meter is super accurate but I can measure the dB difference between far and near the bulb: 66 dB and 37 dB, respectively, therefore the noise emissions are approximately 66 - 37 = 29 dB (greater than 23 dB).

Options
2023-09-25 02:51:32

@RandyAndy 

Thank you for your testing and feedback. This issue has been forwarded to the relevant product engineers. Meanwhile, we will continue to monitor similar feedback to determine if it's a widespread issue or an isolated case.

Options
2023-10-29 16:31:13

@Wayne-TP same here. Sound studio. Anything above 50% brightness and the buzz/whine is audible at 1.5 - 4m distance. 

Options
2023-10-29 17:08:51 - last edited 2023-10-29 17:10:34

@Mully_DE I think most people won't notice because they are using the bulbs in a normal room, but in a well treated studio you can hear a wristwatch ticking.

I bought 4 bulbs (two packs of 2) and the two bulbs from one pack had the buzzing, but the other two were considerably quieter, see my earlier post. I kept the quiet ones and returned the noisy ones. If you bought them on Amazon and you don't want to waste time, you could just buy 2 or 3 boxes, test and keep the quiet ones, then return the bad ones.

Just a tip, I never run mine at 100% cold white because that turns all three LEDs (R+G+B) on at full brightness and the bulb gets very hot, which will increase the chances of failure. If you run them at 80% they will be cooler and probably give you a much longer service. If you need full-brightness it's probably better to use regular "dumb" LED bulbs for that.

Options
2023-10-30 09:13:09

@Mully_DE 

Do you have the same model Tapo L530? How about the hardware version?

Options
2023-10-30 09:43:55

@Wayne-TP What is the current / latest hardware version for this product?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1246

Replies: 15

Related Articles