Votes

Cameras - google home / assistant integration not working - FALSE ADVERTISING BY TAPO.

Votes

Cameras - google home / assistant integration not working - FALSE ADVERTISING BY TAPO.

2023-11-14 21:56:15 - last edited 3 weeks ago
Model: Tapo C520WS  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.4

Hi - New Tapo customer here. I just bought a few Tapo outdoor cameras. Specifically the C520WS. Great product, but it does not have proper live feed integration in google home app. Nor can you use Google home to setup automations. This integration exists for other tplink (kasa) product lines.

I'm already using google home app to preview my doorbell (nest) and other cameras (wyze and ring), and I would like my tapo ones in there too. In the Google home app it says "live view stream can't be viewed here".

I purchased these because it was advertised as google assistant integrated. It isn't. The only integration that Tapo has is by saying "okay google show camera on Chromecast". This is not a full integration. We need to be able to view stream and set automations through google home.

Does anyone know if this feature is being developed? Its pretty critical to my smart home setup.

Thank you.

Options
18 Reply
Re:Cameras - google home integration not working
2023-11-15 09:54:46 - last edited 2023-11-15 09:54:58

@DSpect 

Hi,
The Google Home app helps link the TP-Link devices under the TP-Link account with the Google devices, and a Google Home hub or any smart display that supports Chromecast(such as a TV with built-in Chromecast) is needed to watch the camera. It's unable to use the Google Home app to stream the camera's live feed, but you can use the Tapo app to stream the camera's live feed. Below are the instructions to set up the Google Home work with Tapo cameras.
How to control Tapo/Kasa camera by Google Home with voice commands?

Thank you very much for your feedback here, while we don't have any specific details that I can share about whether the feature to stream the camera's live feed on the Google Home app can come to the product or when it might, I'll log the feature request and pass it along to the team to evaluate.
I moved this conversation into the ‘Feature Request (Tapo)' area for better visibility, and if other users have the same request, please vote on this thread or leave your comments.

Best Regards

Options
2023-11-15 16:27:52 - last edited 2023-11-15 16:28:56

@Solla-topee thank you for the fast response. I wouldn't consider this a feature request, TP-Link advertises that the device works with Google. This is untrue. Your integration of voice activation is only 1 small feature of Google assistant/home. 

To advertise that your product is supported by Google assistant/home we should have all the features other brands have. Live view in google home, automations in google home. This is the same way other tplink devices are integrated with google home - i can can view and control my Kasa Switches and plugs all through google home.

I even heard on another forum/group that there are beta firmwares for older cameras which fix this issue.

Could this please get escalated to the engineer or product teams? I have 2 cameras and I would unfortunately need to return them as they are not supported by Google home as you have advertised them to.

Options
2024-04-09 14:25:02

@DSpect I completely agree. This is simply a way for this company to deceive buyers. Google should make sure that the label is no longer allowed to be used. I have six cameras and I cannot use any of them as intended. I feel cheated.

Options
2024-04-10 03:05:51

@Solla-topee 

I would like to see full google home integration including automations and live view feed for Tapo and Kasa Cameras

Options
RE:Cameras - google home integration not working
2024-04-10 03:07:59
Please add full google home integration for Tapo cameras
Options
RE:Cameras - google home integration not working
2024-04-13 12:47:01
What?!?! How is this even possible? I researched this before buying the C125 and I literally can’t believe this doesn’t work with Google home. Why would anyone want to be able to view their camera on a hub and not their phone. This is outright deceptive. I was going to leave google nest cameras behind, but now I can’t. So annoying.
Options
2024-05-04 14:04:45

@Solla-topee 

This is so aggravating.  I bought it expecting to view the feed in my Google Home app.  

Options
2024-05-12 11:41:39
Works with google home /= works only with a google hub. It’s just completely false advertising.
Options
2024-05-28 15:21:47

@DSpect Just got my Tapo having searched for cameras and google home, and I've come up against the same problem. Is this a TP-Link problem/limitation or a Google Home problem/limitation?

I was also wanting to store the video via my nest account, but I'm guessing that won't be an option either.

My hope was for all the cameras to be accessable via a single app and account. Does anyone know the best option for this? I'm seriously thinking of sending this TP 510W back to amazon due to this lack of integration.

Options
2024-05-30 14:15:50

@DSpect just got my new camera. Very disappointed that it does not support streaming through Google home app. This feature should be expected of a device marketed as working with Google home.

Options

Information

Helpful: 9

Views: 1245

Replies: 18

Voters 9

+ 5 Voters