Bug Report: Deco XE75 - AP Mode not working properly

2023-11-30 10:33:29 - last edited 2023-12-01 07:15:57
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.8 Build 20230901 Rel. 36505

Deco setup as AP connected to ER605 router.

1. All devices connected to ER605 has internet access - no problems.

2. All decos connected to ER605 detected by router normally.  All Decos successfully received IP address. Decos are connected via wired backhaul on gigabit ethernet.

3. All wifi devices connected to Deco has internet access and can access at full speed - all working fine.

4. Deco itself is reporting that it has IP address but has no internet access - which is false.  Just misreporting it as all the devices connected to it can go to the internet.

4.1 Because it is misreporting its internet status, it can no longer Check for updates; and its status light is now RED color 

4.2 I have tried rotating the Deco nodes - I have 4 in total, all behave the same.

4.3 When Deco is set as router mode, everything works fine, it can check for updates.

4.4 thus at this stage this is not a "deal-breaker" as all devices has internet access going thru the Deco. It is just inconveniet if I need to check for firmware updates, which I need to switch it to router mode and connect it to the modem.  

4.5 because the Deco thinks it is not connected to the internet, it also cannot schedule turning off the indicator lights.

Please fix.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Bug Report: Deco XE75 - AP Mode not working properly-Solution
2023-12-01 02:50:35 - last edited 2023-12-01 07:15:47

@Alexandre. 

I switch over to Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and Secondary as Cloudflare 1.1.1.1;   once the new DNS has been refreshed in the network ... took about 10 mins or so.  Then I switch the Main Deco to another Node.  Which again took a while to get up and reflect in the Deco Mobile App.

Good News!!! It worked ... All Deco nodes turned green, and now reporting as Good.  Its Fixed!!!!

Looks like the local ISP DNS is the problem.  Do note my ISP is Time Broadband in Malaysia; perhaps keep this as a FAQ as known issue - so that anybody else facing this can do this to fix the issue.

Thanks a million!!! @Alexandre you rock!!!

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Bug Report: Deco XE75 - AP Mode not working properly
2023-11-30 12:40:03

@Amberglow 

1. Do you run your own DNS server?

2. If you do not run standalone DNS server, have you made any changes in ER605 router firewall or its other settings that could prevent (filter, etc.) DNS access from Main Deco?

The reason I am asking: Main Deco in AP mode performs Internet connectivity health check by running DNS queries against number of well known Web sites. If these DNS queries all failing, Main Deco will assume issues with Internet and its LED will be red.

Options
2023-12-01 00:26:42

@Alexandre. 

Here's my WAN connection ... it is using ISP default DNS.

Also, no special firewalls rules ... 

Thanks.

BR

Options
2023-12-01 01:40:49

@Amberglow 

Are there any logs in the router which may shed the light on the issue? Other than failing DNS queries, I can't think of any other reason when Main Deco LED will go red while actually Internet is working.

Two things you could try:

1. In case it is ISP default DNS servers that don't like Main Deco DNS queries, enter Google public DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in Primary and Secondary DNS fields;

and, if that fixes nothing, keep it for now, but also:

2. Promote one of hardwired Satellite Deco to Main Deco. You said you "rotated the Deco nodes," but I am unsure what does it mean: just changing places or making them Main Deco one after another. See Changing the Main Unit for your Mesh Network

Options
Re:Bug Report: Deco XE75 - AP Mode not working properly-Solution
2023-12-01 02:50:35 - last edited 2023-12-01 07:15:47

@Alexandre. 

I switch over to Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and Secondary as Cloudflare 1.1.1.1;   once the new DNS has been refreshed in the network ... took about 10 mins or so.  Then I switch the Main Deco to another Node.  Which again took a while to get up and reflect in the Deco Mobile App.

Good News!!! It worked ... All Deco nodes turned green, and now reporting as Good.  Its Fixed!!!!

Looks like the local ISP DNS is the problem.  Do note my ISP is Time Broadband in Malaysia; perhaps keep this as a FAQ as known issue - so that anybody else facing this can do this to fix the issue.

Thanks a million!!! @Alexandre you rock!!!

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 419

Replies: 4

Related Articles