Tapo Switches

Tapo Switches

Tapo Switches
Tapo Switches
2024-04-07 14:55:27 - last edited 2024-04-10 07:47:16
Model: Tapo S210  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.9.0

Hi. I got all house with tapo switces, bulbs, cameras, etc... connected with alexa.

Im wondering, is possible to make firmware to have a extra options , so that switch dont cut power to bulbs when is pressed once. They just turn off the connected tapo bulb. 

Exanple :

* One tap - turn on-off bulb

* Double tap - cut power on - off

Best regards...

Options
10 Reply
Re:Tapo Switches
2024-04-08 08:07:57

@Zmajur 

To be honest, we don't recommend using smart switches and smart bulbs together. Apart from the reason you mentioned, which is that it will cut off power to the bulbs, there may also be interference between devices, leading to compatibility issues such as abnormal blinking of the smart bulbs.

May I ask why you want to use them together? Switches are designed to cut off power, that's what the electric switches do. So if you're looking to indirectly control the bulbs by controlling another device, you might consider purchasing a smart button, the Tapo S200B or Tapo S200D.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2024-04-08 08:25:22

@Wayne-TP 

Smart Bulbs without smart switches cant be fully smart home, hah. Correct me if Im wrong,

Without smart switch, whenever somebody cut power, you cant control it with app or alexa, u still need manuly to switch on. So thats a my reason. It will be easiest if im only user at home, but Im not, hah.  

By my opinion, only lack using them together is long response to show bulb is "online" and responsive for next command after switch is triggered to on. So any rutine I make in Tapo or Alexa app for bulbs, need to be delayed for a 4-5 minutes. 

Only solution for that is option that switch dont cut power or faster response time of bulb after switch is triggered. 

Sorry for bad English.

Best Regards

Options
2024-04-10 01:52:13

@Zmajur 

Why not use dumb light bulbs with smart switches and smart light bulbs on non-smart fixtures? They work independently and do not require to be used together as a bundle.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2024-04-10 07:32:10 - last edited 2024-04-10 07:47:16

@Wayne-TP 

Bathroom fans that are hard-wired to the light fixtures. Very common in Europe. If you switch on the light, the fan turns on. The fan only turns off, when you switch off the light.

I'm not the OP, but by coincidence I'm installing a S220 in my bathroom today. It's a shame that I have to replace the L535 (poor thing was offline most of the time) with a dumb bulb. No fancy light colors anymore.

Back to the OPs idea: it would be great if the S220 would have to functions per switch. Single tap: does the same as the S200B, double tap: acts like the S220 (physically cuts the power).

That way I could turn off the fan/light with a double tap or leave the fan running but turn the light off with a single tap. (The fan has a built-in timer)

I think we'll see more situations where smart switches in combination with smart bulbs in the future.

I don't know if the aforementioned behavior can be implemented in the firmware (configurable of course) though.

Options
2024-04-10 07:47:05

@aroedl 

I like have both devices to be smart. Switch and bulb. Combo without cutting power in switch is "bingo" for me. Devices will be online and responsive. I can change color, brightines with rutines without delay or manualy switching.. 

Imagine Smart TV, u can do remotly whatever u need but u need to manualy turn on with switch...

Options
3 weeks ago

aroedl wrote

@Wayne-TP 

Bathroom fans that are hard-wired to the light fixtures. Very common in Europe. If you switch on the light, the fan turns on. The fan only turns off, when you switch off the light.

I'm not the OP, but by coincidence I'm installing a S220 in my bathroom today. It's a shame that I have to replace the L535 (poor thing was offline most of the time) with a dumb bulb. No fancy light colors anymore.

Back to the OPs idea: it would be great if the S220 would have to functions per switch. Single tap: does the same as the S200B, double tap: acts like the S220 (physically cuts the power).

That way I could turn off the fan/light with a double tap or leave the fan running but turn the light off with a single tap. (The fan has a built-in timer)

I think we'll see more situations where smart switches in combination with smart bulbs in the future.

I don't know if the aforementioned behavior can be implemented in the firmware (configurable of course) though.

@aroedl 

I see, that explains why the request. 

Not sure if this is possible with software modification, but you may raise a new Feature Request post about it. 

Did you ask this question because you knew of a specific brand of smart switch that supports this functionality?

Options
3 weeks ago

@Wayne-TP 

Aqara Smart Wall Switch H1 has a decoupled mode, some Inovelli and Lutron switched can either cut the power, control the bulb or both.

Options
3 weeks ago

I think I could trick the system, depends how would switch will act.  I can rewire wires before or after the switch for permanent power and in tapo app make automation. When "single tap on switch" bulb turn on/off. cool...

That could work for tapo and alexa with other manufactures.... So switch should say is off, but power remain on bulb.... 

Gona try...soon, hahah

Options
3 weeks ago

@Zmajur 

I mean that's obvious and easy. The wires don't have to go through the switch!

My S220 was laying on the living room table and of course I was able to control the light bulb in the bathroom. I could do the same for the light: wire it directly without the switch in-between, so it is permanently powered.

The problem (apart from the fan issue): that's not up to code in many countries. Light fixtures must have a switch to turn it off. Imagine someone else wants to replace the bulb, turns it off at the smart switch, it looks like it is turned off but in fact it's still powered.

It's all a bit confusing and convoluted.

I'll do some rewiring, so the bathroom fan can be independently controlled with one side of the switch and the lamp with the other. Code says, the fan must run for a while while the lamp is turned on, but that can be implemented with...

Smart Actions!

Options
3 weeks ago

@Zmajur 

The solution for your problem could be the S220! One side connected to the bulb, the other side used solely as a smart switch to control the bulb. That way you can turn it completely off or use the other button to control it.

With some smart Actions you can do much more.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 239

Replies: 10

Related Articles