Second main S4 deco unit fails with red light

2024-04-11 14:31:33
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.6.1

My Deco network has a combination of S4 and M5 units.  Up until yesterday I had the S4 as my base station. I have now experienced two of my three S4 base station units suddenly turn red and fail to connect to my router.  After trying multiple times to reboot both the router and the base station I have had to completely set up a new network swapping out the failed unit.  The first time this happened about a month ago I used another S4 for the base station.  But it failed yesterday and so I've now use one of my M5 units for the base.  In the process I've purchased two more M5's to replace the S4's.  I've read about power outages causing this, however both of these base units have been on a backup power unit that prevents them from going off when the power goes out. I can't reset these units once this happens either, when I try to reboot them they go from yellow to red.  I've had them for around 3 years and up to now they worked just fine.  Anyone have any ideas what's going on before I throw them in the trash?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Second main S4 deco unit fails with red light
2024-04-12 11:24:21

@Wlgef 

Hi, Thanks for the feedback.

Did Deco respond to the factory reset? Or is there any change to the LED light during the hardware reset process?

It is also suggested to refer to this link to run a firmware recovery:

How to use firmware recovery if the Deco become brick

If it couldn't get into recovery mode, I'm afraid its hardware might be broken.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
Re:Second main S4 deco unit fails with red light
2024-04-12 14:21:14 - last edited 2024-04-12 14:22:05

No, doesn’t respond to reset and I can’t connect to it via firmware process. I think your assessment is correct, dead as a door nail. As an aside, it doesn’t seem like these units lasted very long, I’ve had Wi-Fi routers last way longer than this from other companies. I hope the M5’s don’t follow in these footsteps, the S4’s are just 3 years old. 🙁 Thanks for responding!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 129

Replies: 2

Related Articles