Dimmer switch with 'dumb' bulbs

2024-05-06 21:18:19 - last edited 2024-05-09 10:08:24

Hello,

I currently have 'dumb' dimmable spot lights which I would like to control via a smart switch. The Tapo Smart Remote Dimmer Switch only seems to work with other smart bulbs. What's the solution for dimming dumb bulbs?

Thanks 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Dimmer switch with 'dumb' bulbs-Solution
2024-05-08 06:18:07 - last edited 2024-05-09 10:08:24

@Ellis22 

For the smart switch that needs to be installed on the electric circuit, it can work with the dumb bulbs. Actually, we do not recommend using the smart switch with the smart bulb, as when you turn off the switch, it will cut off the power supply of the smart bulb and make it unresponsive. 

If you're talking about the smart button/switch Tapo S200D, then a Tapo smart bulb is required. By creating automation, you're able to control the Tapo bulbs with the S200D. 

How to create Smart Action (automation or a shortcut) of my Tapo devices

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Dimmer switch with 'dumb' bulbs
2024-05-07 19:33:54
If I were you, I'd probably start by looking at the Tapo S500D https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/smart-switch/tapo-s500d/v1/ I think you should be careful to ensure that you do not exceed the load limit in the specifications, (listed on that page). I'm new to smart home stuff--this looks pretty cool. I think I might be in your position soon.
Options
2024-05-07 20:17:14

@rf66 Thanks,

I should have added that I am based in the UK and the S500d doesn't seem to be available here. I also do not have a neutral wire. 

Options
Re:Dimmer switch with 'dumb' bulbs-Solution
2024-05-08 06:18:07 - last edited 2024-05-09 10:08:24

@Ellis22 

For the smart switch that needs to be installed on the electric circuit, it can work with the dumb bulbs. Actually, we do not recommend using the smart switch with the smart bulb, as when you turn off the switch, it will cut off the power supply of the smart bulb and make it unresponsive. 

If you're talking about the smart button/switch Tapo S200D, then a Tapo smart bulb is required. By creating automation, you're able to control the Tapo bulbs with the S200D. 

How to create Smart Action (automation or a shortcut) of my Tapo devices

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
2024-05-08 06:21:11

@Wayne-TP 

Thanks.

Is there a solution for the UK market for a smart dimmer switch for non smart bulbs?

Options
2024-05-09 10:08:18

Ellis22 wrote

@Wayne-TP 

Thanks.

Is there a solution for the UK market for a smart dimmer switch for non smart bulbs?

@Ellis22 

As I don't find any smart dimmer switch on the UK site, I'm afraid the answer is no. 

Options
Re: Tapo Dimmer switch with 'dumb' bulbs - UK
2024-08-02 08:49:00

@Wayne-TP I'm also looking for a UK version or equivalent of the (currently USA only) Tapo S500D dimming switch 

I wonder if anyone form TP Link would have any insight if a UK 240v rated version is likely? 

of of not, if other forum members have and alternatives for dimming non smart (but dimable) LED bulbs 

Technology enthusiast and professional - NVIDIA, ex Microsoft. Interested in AI, CGI, Graphics & AV, Home Computing & Automation.
Options
Re: Tapo Dimmer switch with 'dumb' bulbs - UK
2024-08-05 05:56:33

@Richard_Love 

As forum moderators, we do not have more information about product releases and sales in different countries and regions. 

But here are some tips about how you can check for product availability and where to purchase it:

1. Product availability: Check the local TP-Link website for the product model:

1) If the model is listed, it's either already released or will be soon.

2) If labeled as "Coming Soon", it indicates a planned release in this country/region.

3) If not found, there are no near plans in short teams.

2. Where to Buy: Refer to the TP-Link authorized retailer list, Where To Buy

Note: Product inventory availability varies between retailers based on their sales plans for different models.

Options
2024-08-17 08:40:10

@Wayne-TP I make automations with S200D in alexa. that works.

Maybe could work in HomeAssistant to or Smartthings.

I like the button, the main reason is the Rotary 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 653

Replies: 8

Related Articles