Alexa Server is Unresponsive

2024-07-20 07:30:24 - last edited a week ago
Model: Tapo L510E  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.0.Build 230721

For the last 48 hours (pre global IT outage), my two Tapo bulbs have stopped working with Alexa.  Ive restarted them both and they work fine on your app but Alexa says the Server is Unresponsive.  Ive disabled the skill and re-enabled it.  Ive also deleted one of the lights and rediscovered it, which look good, but as soon as I try to control the light, it says Server Unresponsive.  Any clues as to what's happening here?  is this an issue with your Alexa skill?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Alexa Server is Unresponsive-Solution
2024-07-23 01:54:28 - last edited a week ago

@DarrenAF 

Alexa control requires Tapo device to support remote management (default). Please check whether you're able to control the bulbs remotely (e.g. using cellular data) with Tapo App?

Please confirm if you can't control the device using Alexa voice command, Alexa App, or both? If it works fine with Alexa App but not the voice control, please reach Alexa support for help. 

More troubleshooting tips on Cannot make my TP-Link smart devices work with Alexa

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@gem6844 

Alexa control requires the Tapo device to support remote management. It is possible that this issue is caused by a brief network anomaly or server fluctuation.

If the issue recurs steadily, refer to this article for suggestions on troubleshooting: Cannot make my TP-Link smart devices work with Alexa

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
2024-07-23 01:54:28 - last edited a week ago

@DarrenAF 

Alexa control requires Tapo device to support remote management (default). Please check whether you're able to control the bulbs remotely (e.g. using cellular data) with Tapo App?

Please confirm if you can't control the device using Alexa voice command, Alexa App, or both? If it works fine with Alexa App but not the voice control, please reach Alexa support for help. 

More troubleshooting tips on Cannot make my TP-Link smart devices work with Alexa

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Alexa Server is Unresponsive
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@Wayne-TP 

I have the same problem as @DarrenAF. This started occurring a few weeks ago.

3 x Tapo L535 bulbs / HW Ver 3.0 / FW Ver 1.1.5 Build 240328 Rel. 194528

1. Bulbs cannot be controlled via Alexa voice commands or the Alex app - latter says "Device is unresponsive".
  2. I have unlinked and re-linked the Tapo skill in Alexa with no changes in this behavior.
  3. I have 2 x Kasa KL130 in the same room (and Alexa group) and these continue to work via Alexa.
  4. I'm able to control all 5 devices via the Tapo app when connected to WiFi.
  5. Interestingly, and prompted by the comment about remote management, when disconnected from Wifi and using a mobile connection on my phone, I cannot control the 3 Tapo bulbs via the Tapo app, but the 2 Kasa bulbs continue to respond.  For the Tapo bulbs, there is no error in the Tapo app - just says 100% on (which is clearly untrue)
  6. I have only one other Tapo device, a S505D dimmer switch, which continues to work via Alexa. It also works via the Tapo app. However, it does not work using mobile data via the Tapo app (same as 5 above)

Clearly remote management of all 4 Tapo devices is not working as the Tapo app is not able to control them. That said, only the 3 bulbs are failing to be controlled from Alexa so this is inconclusive. Could a recent change to the backend Tapo skill have rescinded control of bulbs but kept dimmers?

Any help you could provide would be appreciated.

Options
a week ago

@gem6844 

What router are you using? Please share your network topology if it is a big network.

Try to restart the router. 

Options
a week ago

Thanks for your quick reply, @Wayne-TP.  I'm using an AmpliFi HD router with 3 mesh points.

Interestingly, as of yesterday, I have regained full functionality of the Tapo light bulbs, via the Alexa app / voice, and via the Tapo app when off local Wifi (mobile). Nothing on my end has changed including the firmware. I have not yet restarted my router as all seems well for now. Did something change on your side?

I'll monitor reliability here and up-date this thread with findings.

Options
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@gem6844 

Alexa control requires the Tapo device to support remote management. It is possible that this issue is caused by a brief network anomaly or server fluctuation.

If the issue recurs steadily, refer to this article for suggestions on troubleshooting: Cannot make my TP-Link smart devices work with Alexa

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 344

Replies: 5

Related Articles