Can’t connect smart plug to phone

2024-08-02 02:08:20 - last edited a week ago
Model: HS103  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Model HS103P2

I can't connect the plug to my phone. My phone seems to lose the Wi-Fi connection to the plug while it's trying to connect. I have cellular data turned on for Kasa Smart and local networks is turned on. I chose low data mode for the plug's wi-fi network. This is frustrating, and I am going in circles! Help appreciated, thank you.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Can’t connect smart plug to phone-Solution
2024-08-05 03:48:40 - last edited a week ago

@LBfrustrated 

If i understand it correctly, you have one phone here and want to connect the smart plug to this phone's Hotspot? This configuration is not recommended and is likely to fail.

If you don't have a router and intend to connect the smart plug to mobile Hotspot, get another mobile device to do the configuration instead: Turn on the hotspot on one phone and perform the configuration with another phone.

Related Articles

How to set up my TP-Link Smart Plug Switch via Kasa
What should I do if I fail to configure the Kasa device?

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
2024-08-06 03:58:45 - last edited a week ago

@LBfrustrated 

Are you referring to the smartphone being unable to successfully connect to the smart plug's WiFi (e.g. continuously spinning, not showing a checkmark for connected), or are you referring to the case where the smartphone connects to the smart plug's WiFi but it shows 'no internet'?

If it's the former issue, please try using another smartphone to do the configuration. As the smart plug's WiFi has no internet connection, some phones may be unable to connect to a WiFi network without internet.

If it's the latter issue, the 'no internet' message is normal. The smart plug's WiFi is only for configuration purposes, and it does not have an internet connection.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
2024-08-05 03:48:40 - last edited a week ago

@LBfrustrated 

If i understand it correctly, you have one phone here and want to connect the smart plug to this phone's Hotspot? This configuration is not recommended and is likely to fail.

If you don't have a router and intend to connect the smart plug to mobile Hotspot, get another mobile device to do the configuration instead: Turn on the hotspot on one phone and perform the configuration with another phone.

Related Articles

How to set up my TP-Link Smart Plug Switch via Kasa
What should I do if I fail to configure the Kasa device?

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Can’t connect smart plug to phone
2024-08-05 05:08:56

@Wayne-TP thanks for your response.  No, I'm not using the phone's hotspot. The instructions are to connect my phone's wifi to the smart plug's wireless network. But it doesn't connect and my phone drops the wifi network. I need a solution or I have to return it to the store.

Options
2024-08-06 03:58:45 - last edited a week ago

@LBfrustrated 

Are you referring to the smartphone being unable to successfully connect to the smart plug's WiFi (e.g. continuously spinning, not showing a checkmark for connected), or are you referring to the case where the smartphone connects to the smart plug's WiFi but it shows 'no internet'?

If it's the former issue, please try using another smartphone to do the configuration. As the smart plug's WiFi has no internet connection, some phones may be unable to connect to a WiFi network without internet.

If it's the latter issue, the 'no internet' message is normal. The smart plug's WiFi is only for configuration purposes, and it does not have an internet connection.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 195

Replies: 3

Related Articles